It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #1

TMJgirl HB User
Can TMJ cause chronic clogged eustachian tubes?

Can anyone out there please tell me if they have clogged eustachian tubes with their TMJ? I cant stand this anymore. I am going nuts. I went to 5 ENT's and one scoped me and said they are not clogged. Every morning I have excessive thick secretions and then my ears get loud for the rest of the day and feel like my voice is to loud. Does anyone out there have this? If so, what can be done about it. I have a splint in my mouth for about 6 weeks now, and I go to a chiropractor twice a week for about 3 months now, and I lift wieghts for about 3 weeks now. My head feels like it is so clogged up, I am loosing my mind. It never stops and I never stop crying. I am trying to ignore this, along with alot of people pulling for me, but I live with this in my head and the anxiety is horrendous. Have tried zoloft, buspar, lexapro and none work. To many side effects, i am afraid of this stuff, so I am trying cold turkey, mixed in with menopausal symptoms and quiting smoking a month ago. Talk about climbing the walls, all at once, but my ears sound like they are made out of sponges on the inside of my head. Please help..........somebody, please?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
Veteran

mdla HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Can anyone out there please tell me if they have clogged eustachian tubes with their TMJ? I cant stand this anymore. I am going nuts. I went to 5 ENT's and one scoped me and said they are not clogged. Every morning I have excessive thick secretions and then my ears get loud for the rest of the day and feel like my voice is to loud. Does anyone out there have this? If so, what can be done about it. I have a splint in my mouth for about 6 weeks now, and I go to a chiropractor twice a week for about 3 months now, and I lift wieghts for about 3 weeks now. My head feels like it is so clogged up, I am loosing my mind. It never stops and I never stop crying. I am trying to ignore this, along with alot of people pulling for me, but I live with this in my head and the anxiety is horrendous. Have tried zoloft, buspar, lexapro and none work. To many side effects, i am afraid of this stuff, so I am trying cold turkey, mixed in with menopausal symptoms and quiting smoking a month ago. Talk about climbing the walls, all at once, but my ears sound like they are made out of sponges on the inside of my head. Please help..........somebody, please?????

I hate that you are having such severe problems. I know exactly what you are going though, my experience mirrors this to a T, my ear is full and throbs, I do all the things the doctors say and im going crazy with the meds, I have a box full of em'. sometimes I wont take them for a week, they ill go back on cause I need some sleep, some quiet, i just want to scoop whatever is in my ear out. Ive been to 4 ENTs, 3 pain managment centers, more TMJ "specalists" than I can count. No one can help and sometimes I have to admit I feel like I wish I would just die already because every new day is a day of dodging pain from my ear, or the dizziness or the jaw.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 06:03 AM   #3

TMJgirl HB User
Hi Mdla:
It is the beginning of a new day, Monday November 10th and my Hell is beginning on this bright and shiney day here in Pennsylvania. The clogged ears are in place, the blurry vision, vertigo, crying and anxiety have all begun at the hour of 7:53AM. My family are gone for the day and I have to look forward to this again and again, like ground hog day! I hear you suffer the same. What can we do? No one has the answer and they expect us to just "go on". They can't see it in us, it is not visable, therefore it should be able to overcome. Correct? I get this all the time, that I look well and healthy, so why the problem? I am doing what they told me, the splint is in my mouth, not doing any meds and continuing the gym and the chiropractor along with the NM dentist, but still nada! My dentist is the most sweetest person I have every met in my life. Friday when I went for an adjustment on the splint, we spent one hour and 15 minutes, just the two of us, talking about how the spirit can heal the body. He said we are made up of mind, body and soul. Mind and body work together, but the spirit is separate and apart and the strongest of all to heal. If all three do not heal in unisome, then the person cannot heal at all, hence limbo land! So there I am, at least speaking for myself, healing my body from the neck down and that is about it. I am a healthy 47 year old female, good physical condition etc. but I just cannot heal past this. I wonder what the key to spiritual healing is with all of the TMJ. Just how do we connect with ourselves in such a way where there is peace of mind through all this vertigo, muscle spasms and ear stuff etc. I cannot find the strength within me to even go there! How about you? Do you have any suggestions that we may spiritually heal ourselves? I am not a very religious person, per say, I believe in God and all that, but I am not a bible bumper, but I do believe in this spiritual healing theory, as we are mind, body and soul. Your thoughts?

Old 11-10-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran

mdla HB User
Hi TMJGirl, I am so sorry you had such a morning, I hate when the mondays go bad, it sets up a spiral for the whole week. Im with you - every detail they told me to do I have done. Now Im trying to detox from the sleeping pills, I had my first night last night in months without one but Its hard, I didn't fall asleep until 6am and my head was twiching all night. But I finally did get some real sleep - priceless!!!

I just got home from accupunture, they are trying to help with my neck pain, ear ringing and jaw pain. I also bought some herbs from them Ill let you know if they make a dent in the tinnitus.

Its funny you mention the spiritual approach to healing today, On sat. in the grocery store line I read the cover story from Newsweek, it was about Religion and Healing. It had some interesting studies on people who heal faster from things like surgeries or cancers when they have faith and attend church. They also apparently live longer. Im sold on the idea Ive been praying for months now, I also heard a story from an interview with Paula Abdul she was saying that for like 6 years she had intense neck pain and surgeries, fusions etc. When she got the auditions for American Idol she decided she had enough and really wanted to work again - pain free. She said she got down on her hands and knees and started praying and the final surgery she had cured her.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 AM   #5

TMJgirl HB User
Hi MBLA:
It is morning again. I dread it. I agree with you with the power of prayer, but the inner peace comes from within. I have been trying to quiet my spirit constantly, but the intensity of this suffering is overpowering sometimes. This is why I lift the weights. Everyone there says I stand out. It is my inner spirit that is frustrated and the anxiety surfaces when I go there, and for just a brief amount of time, I feel better. Once I leave there, and come back to my world, the spasm begin, and everything I work so hard for seems like for nothing. I have a life, a family, grown children and a husband who has not been there for me. I have been messed up for two years and have seen a side of him that I never knew. I know this adds to the problem I am having, and I am trying to work through this, with the outside people in my life right now. My NM dentist is the kindest person I ever met. At my appointment last week we sat for over an hour and just talked about the spirit of life and how it is the life force for all events, both good and bad. So, I do pray, I am a christian, but not over doing that, and I have been heard I think, and I also know that we all have our cross to bare. To live life in a brain fog every single day, to have clogged ears every single day mixed in with dizziness and vertigo, seems so unfair. Sometimes I try to put this in perspective by comparing myself with people with cancer, or worse problems then myself and I feel selfish. Then maybe I am meant to live my life like this for some reason, but for God's sake, let me cope! Just to have the peace. Stay well................

Old 11-11-2003, 07:09 AM   #6
(male)

My2:30 HB User
'clogged' in spirit

Hi TMJgirl,

I too, have the same problems with the clogged tubes and ears and have noticed that after I exercise or play hockey the next day I wake up feeling clogged up. Sometimes I also get these pains running through my neck, up to my ears. It seems to happen after I go from a warm place (gym, etc.) to a cold place (outside, ice rink, etc).

As for the spiritual healing, please let me share what I have learned.

God has chosen to communicate with man through the written word, inspiring people to write letters and books that make up the Bible, containing both historical facts and how He wants us to respond to Him.

In the Bible, it says in order for Him to heal us both spiritually AND physically there are guidelines to follow. The most important one being a commitment to believe that Jesus was who He said He was and following His example of worshipping God and how Jesus related to His follow man.

Once that priority is set straight and we are in a 'correct' relationship with God, it is at that time God may work-if He chooses-to heal us physically.

I hope that doesn't sound too 'phoney' or whatever, but I believe that's the way God has outlined it, and I'm just passing it on. I do know that on occaision God HAS healed people in order for them to THEN follow Him or for whatever purpose He has seen fit. But I also know that there are many cases where it seems God has healed people as a direct result of their faith in Jesus.

Again, I'm not trying to preach here, and I truly am concerned about your struggles and can sympathize as I go through the same kinds. I know what works for me, but more importantly I know that SOME day, (ya maybe not in this lifetime), but someday (in a NEW world and life) there will be no more illnesses for those who have chosen to follow Christ in this lifetime..

Hope this will encourage you..Take care.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:50 AM   #7

TMJgirl HB User
My2:30:
Thanks for responding to me. How do we know if we are in the right place spiritually to accept healing? For me personally, I go to my church, when no one else is there, all alone, I sit in the pew and have a sense of warmth and peace come over my body. It is pretty intense. I just sit there and take it in and like I said before, I am not overly religious or anything like that. I just am a christian person and believe in Jesus and God. One of my children happen to be an angel and I have a direct line so to speak! The healing comes from within us, for example someone like Lance Armstrong! How in God's name did he overcome the cancer he had? Must have been devine intervention, or was it? He truly amazes me and I have a picture of him taped to my wall in my bedroom so that I can look at him everyday and think of what he went through. I think I am personally at peace with the devine power that is does exist, but also question too. The questions are still, am I on the right path or not? Is this in fact TMJ? What if it isn't? What if the doctors are all wrong like they were for 2 years? These are pretty much the same questions that anyone with an illness or ailment might ask. The cycle continues for me, in that there seems to be no end in sight. Just day after day of clogged ears, vertigo and anxiety. The splint is in my mouth, I do what they tell me to do, but still have this mayhem in my life. If only I had peace of mind...what a priceless thing to have.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #8
(male)

My2:30 HB User
!

TMJgirl,

"How do we know if we are in the right place spiritually to accept healing ?"

I'm certainly no authority on the subject other then what I get from the Bible. According to the Bible, if we place our eternal fate with Jesus, and are in a relationship with Him during this life, i.e. continual praying for guidance, reading the Bible regularly, living the kind of life style outlined in the Bible, we are considered 'saved', born again, or whatever, and are in favour with God-or in the right place!

However, I must point out that divine healing doesn't always take place just because we wish it so. God's number one priority for everyone is that they become followers of Jesus. To that end, so many things might be necesary to have that happen and influence someone's choice to follow Him. For example, someone might have a terrible disease (maybe like yourself), but yet never give up their faith in God, and selfishly serving others. Other people might see this example of faith, and be moved to follow God, themselves. Paul, one of the writers of may of the books in the Bible did great things, peformed miracles etc, but wrote of some affliction he had that although he prayed for cure, did not receive one.

Do other people get miracously 'cured' when they don't appear to be Christians- Maybe like Lance Armstrong? Yes, of course. Again, there are so many things going on 'behind the scenes' so to speak, in order for God's purposes to be carried out, no one can put God in a box and exclaim they know exactly who God is going to heal, and who He isn't.

So what can we do when we need physical healing? I would find a church that believes in the Bible and follows its principles-there are many out there, of different dominations, (although they're getting fewer as time goes on, it seems)-and ask for prayer and guidance in accordance with the Bible.

What if you don't have TMJ and it's some other illness? Again, go to God (and a good church!) and ask for guidance. It is amazing sometimes how after I pray about something answers seem to 'pop' up! Whether it be a TV show, someone coming up to you and saying 'hey you should go see this doctor', or maybe you'll even find an answer to your prayers on this board...God does work in mysterious ways and prayers are answered, just not always the way we would like..

I hope this all helps. In a nutshell-find a good Bible believing church, have a daily time for prayer and reading of the Bible, and trust God but don't assume your healing will be miraculously performed-He may choose other methods..

God bless.

PS. I know about having 'angels' for children..I have 4 myself...

Old 11-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #9

TMJgirl HB User
Wow, 4 angels! That is something. Yes, I know what you mean about the questions for quidance. For two whole years I went through medical hell. I mean, I was tested for everthing under the sun. They thought I had MS, Lupus, Lyme, Cancer, on and on. I have had brain MRI, CT's, blood tests where 13 vials were being taken at once, till I would almost pass out. This went on for 2 years. Nothing could be found except menopausal symptoms, mold allergies and in the end TMJ according to the K6-1 scan the NM dentist uses. I really have nothing wrong with me, except this nonsence. While this was going on, I would go and sit in my church all alone and ask for quidance, the right path so to speak for an answer. That is all I bargained for, an answer. Time and time again, the medical tests came back negative, and I would be exasperated at the same time elated not to have Cushing's disease, or a brain tumor or something else horrible. In the meantime, I was still left with unanswered questions, until I stumbled into this dentist on the internet while I was researching TMJ and interestingly enough, he is 15 minutes from my house. The chiropractor is giving me a huge discound because the insurance deductable was rediculous and then while I was there, I ran into this trainer that I knew some 30 years ago. Hence the gym that I go to now. It seems like there is a path for me. I swear it is there, I just cant fiqure out where it is going to end up. The body is getting stronger, but the TMJ is not going anywhere. It is chronic. This is horrific. So if I ask God if this path is right, he will answer again. I know he has answered me. I just know it. All this fell into place to obviously and maybe I am to anxious for an end. I hope you are well. I hope you are at peace with whatever your situation, and whatever course life takes you. I am still trying, I lead a good clean life and do pray. I dont read the bible, eyes are to blurry to read lately, but I do have my private conversations with "the Big Guy". So thanks for answering and stay well.....

Closed Thread