It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
Veteran

mdla HB User
ear fullness trigger point for spasm

I read this on the alternative medicine board and thought I would copy it to ours, it makes sense..............

Another possibility for your ear "stuffiness" might be an active "trigger point" in your medial pterygoid muscle on either or both sides of your lower jawbones. The sense of stuffiness can come from a tight m/p muscle when it prevents the eustachian tube in the middle ear from opening.

A trigger point is always identified as a very small spot in any muscle that is very tender & painful when pressure is applied, sqmetimes in the immediate pain or other symtom area & sometimes far afield.

At any rate, to quickly determine if a trigger pqint is causing your problem, take your thumb & press hard on the area inside the inner edge of theback of your lower jaw right below your ears...this is where the tender spot for this muscle would be.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:36 AM   #2

TMJgirl HB User
Hi MBLA: You are right about the trigger points. My trainer makes me push on the very spot that you refer to at the jaw bone with my thumbs. The other point that my chiropractor pushes on is inside the mouth. He puts his finger on the outside of my teeth ( inside my mouth), makes me bite down, while he pushes on the large ligament at the back of the jaw between the cheek and teeth. It is a hard ligament, and mine is very sensative. My NM dentist said the same thing about trigger points. It is called referred pain when the trigger point is far from the muscle spasm or pain. Theory being that while pushing on the "knot" it brings forth oxygen and stimulates the area to heal. The muscle has an area in it that has gotten a spasm in there, and the oxygen cannot circulate well. I purchased a book online about trigger point therapy that you can do yourself, and I am waiting to recieve it in the mail. People out there should research the trigger points on the internet. My chiropractor has a huge poster up in his office with all the points on the body and where the referred pain would be. Amazingly the head is full of referral points from trigger points.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran

GenDen HB User
Your explanation of trigger points and their effects is well written, and I believe true. The problem I have encountered is how to deactivate the trigger points. I know the sore place on the jaw. I have had extensive physical therapy and massage therapy. The therapist works the trigger points and it feels better for a while. However, within a couple of months the trigger points are back. I want to deactivate them permanently. I think I have eliminated what originally caused the trigger points with splint therapy to correct a malocclusion. I have corrected postural problems, sleeping position, eliminated clenching, learned how to manage stress---but the trigger points stay with me. I also purchased the trigger point therapy manual. It is wonderfully written with good explanations. I have followed the instructions. However, the trigger points just seem to lie dormant until some small thing sets them off again. If anyone has the answer to how to permanently eliminate trigger points or at least keep them always dormant, I would appreciate that information.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:39 PM   #4

TMJgirl HB User
I just purchased the same trigger point manual that you speak of. I recieved it today. My question is how to identify the trigger points, and what do they actually feel like? Is it a knot in the muscle? Can you feel it? I know it hurts or feels sore when it is touched, but is there a lump or a knot? I am just describing what my doctors have told me about them. Can you tell me that information, because you seem to be more familiar with them then I. I would greatly appreciate that information, and also I am with you as far as keeping them away. Any information about that too, would be a God send. Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran

GenDen HB User
You say you just received the book today. Though I think it is not simple to identify trigger points, the book explains it about the best I know. The book is very helpful and well written. I am just in the process and can't say from experience, but I suspect that once a person has trigger points, it is a daily task to work on them--probably for life. Anyone with experience?

Old 11-13-2003, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
I have the same problem that you are all describing. - the ear stuffiness, the slight dizziness, the pain. I also have sensitivity of my upper teeth and sometimes on my lower ones. Do you experience this problem? I also bought the trigger point manual and have tried to do some of the deactivation of trigger points. It works sometimes.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:36 AM   #7

TMJgirl HB User
I was just reading the trigger point manual for the first time. Yes, I have actually numbness in my right upper quadrant of my face sometimes, and that includes the right upper side of my teeth and sinus. It is really a scary feeling and get frightened by this. My NM dentist says that this is referred pain, not actual pain at all, but numbness is a pain symptom. He said it is from the nerve compression in the joint of the TMJ where 30% of all the nerves and blood flow from the body passes. Hard to believe! The ear symptoms and the dizziness are the worst for me. I even have a splint, but nothing seems to help me anymore. I am exasperated.........How long have you had the manual and do you get results? How often do you do the trigger point excersises? Thank you for the reply.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
I purchased the manual this past summer because of other trigger point releases needed for fibro. After receiving the manual, the pains dissapeared so, to answer your question, I haven't used the manual very much. However, after glancing through it, I believe that it is right on the mark for what has been ailing me. The sinus/tooth thing started about a month ago. At first, I thought it was a sinus condition and treated for that. However, that does not seem to be the case. Then, I considered a dental problem, but I can't pinpoint the tooth so now I have considered that the pain is arising from my jaw. I have had this in the past and I do have fibro and related ailments, so maybe I ought to try to release that trigger. Yesterday, I did try to massage the muscle, but have had no relief. What about you?

Old 11-14-2003, 10:11 AM   #9

TMJgirl HB User
Twanger:
I just came from my chiropractor and I asked him to help me identify a trigger point so that I could actually feel one. He said I am literally full of them about the neck and head. One that he showed me is on the side of the neck and it feels like a small knot. I asked him how to differentiate between a lymph node and a knot and he said the trigger point feels like a band and lymph nodes do not hurt when touched. I have so many, I do not know where to begin therapy on myself. I wonder how they get there in the first place? I have been pressing on a couple of them, but I dont know what to expect or how long it will take to dissolve them. This is a nightmare.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
Veteran

GenDen HB User
Did your chiropractor tell you how you could deactivate your trigger points? If he can identify them all over your head and neck, surely he can help you get rid of them or refer you to someone who can. My past experience with therapy for trigger points is that the therapist either doesn't know how to deactivate them, isn't willing to spend the time, or just wants to keep me coming as a paying customer. I can deactivate trigger points in my arm, leg, back, etc., but am having a much more difficult time with the head and neck. Anyone who knows how, please let me know. I would be eternally grateful.

Old 11-15-2003, 06:25 AM   #11

TMJgirl HB User
To GenDen:
I asked my chiropractor yesterday to identify a trigger point so that I know what they feel like. After I left the office, I thought to myself, how come he hasnt been working on all of them only a couple inside my mouth. He told me I had multiple trigger points all over my neck and head, but only two get attention every now and then. You sparked a question in my mind about why he hasnt manipulated them out since I have been going to him since Aug. I will see him again Monday and will ask him point blank why he hasnt manipulated the trigger points that he refers to. I became so desparate yesterday that I set up another ENT appointment for Wed. because of this ear clog symptom I have and the dizziness. I am exasperated...........

Closed Thread