It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

goodwillstacy HB User
Question Burning in joint post-op? or not post-op?

Hi all,
I am 4 months post-op from a bilateral arthroplasty. Some of you might remember me.. I took a little break from posting on the board but have been lurking.
I was wondering if any of you have burning in your joint?
This sensation usually happens when I first take a bite of something (like the first time I eat during the day), during coughing, or yawning. It's a weird feeling.. it doesn't feel "electrical" like the feeling I got after surgery when some of my nerves were firing off... it is just a burn..
Hard to explain but maybe some of you will know what I am talking about?
thanks!
.stacy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
hi :) i hope that your recovery is going fairly well.

this is a complete guess, but doesnt burning indicate nerve pain?

i know someone else will be able to help you out.. that's just my guess.

take care,

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Hi Stacy,

I know what you're talking about. I don't know what causes it other than some residual nerve irritation or it may just be muscles stretching. It's almost like a sore muscle burning. I had the same thing with every surgery. No one could ever tell me what it was.
I always called it "The Sweet Tart" effect.

It will eventually go away. Until it does, I found, to take very tiny bites and chew very easily with the first few bites each morning helps. It seems that once your jaw gets used to moving, then it stops.

With yawning, put your fist under your chin and keep from opening too wide. When you cough, don't open any wider than you have too. You can hold both hands on your cheeks (lightly) with your palms under your chin and keep from opening too wide and still cough.

I hope it goes away soon and you feel better. I hope these suggestions help.

Cymy Sue

Last edited by Cymy Sue; 11-18-2003 at 03:01 PM. Reason: sp

Old 11-19-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Re: Burning in joint post-op? or not post-op?

Hi Stacy,

I am going through a similar thing. I had bilateral arthroplasty in March of this year. I started having like an ear ache in my left ear about eight weeks post op. It has now turned into a earache at times, but at other times it just burns bad. I am rarely pain free. It sounds like your buring comes and goes. Am I correct? I don't know if mine is nerve irritation or adhesions. My OS put me on Neurontin about three weeks ago for nerve pain. I pretty much told him I thought it was nerve pain. I have not noticed any major improvement. He mentioned adhesions last time I saw him and a joint injection. I am assuming the symptoms of nerve pain and adhesions must be similar. I see him again tomorrow morning. I will post what he says to me if you are interested.

If you do figure this out from your surgeon would you please post what your OS tells you. I have been battling this for about six months and I am desperate to find an answer or cure. I keep hoping it will go away on its own, but it hasn't.

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

goodwillstacy HB User

Hi guys!
Thanks for your replies!
Saaraah- I'm not sure if it is nerve pain, or just muscles trying to get back to normal... we'll see!
CymySue- Glad to hear that you know what I'm talking about.. the "sweet tart effect" is a perfect (!!!) explanation of how it feels.
Michelle- I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing more pain. Definitely let me know how your appointment with him goes. I see my surgeon tomorrow also, so I will let you all know what he says. I have been having earache-like pain too, and it does come and go. With the weather changing to cold recently I figure that has something to do with it.
Also, I know that once a joint is invaded, it is never the same. So I just wonder if this new pain is the type of pain that appears once you have had surgery. I know that I'll never be totally pain free, but I'm happy to at least have a shot at it.
In any case, I'll update you all tomorrow after I speak with the surgeon. Thanks for all of your help!
.stacy.

Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Hi Goodwillstacy,

If you are interested in my last visit with my OS last week I posted a long reply in a thread called "Hello TiffanyAnn", some of it is personal talk and may be rather boring. I am sorry you have to sift through all the information. I am still asking for clarification on my situation. I have some questions out per email to my OS nurse.

Where you able to get any additional information from your surgeon? Also was your surgery bilateral and where your disc pinned in place like mine where? I am curious about your case, because I have not talked to anyone who has recently underwent arthroplasty. I hope you understand my reason for being so nosey.

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 11-24-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
(female)

goodwillstacy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle W
Hi Goodwillstacy,

If you are interested in my last visit with my OS last week I posted a long reply in a thread called "Hello TiffanyAnn", some of it is personal talk and may be rather boring. I am sorry you have to sift through all the information. I am still asking for clarification on my situation. I have some questions out per email to my OS nurse.

Where you able to get any additional information from your surgeon? Also was your surgery bilateral and where your disc pinned in place like mine where? I am curious about your case, because I have not talked to anyone who has recently underwent arthroplasty. I hope you understand my reason for being so nosey.

Thanks,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
I will read that thread and then write back on this thread when I do. I saw my surgeon and he told me that some patients have this burning in their face, (what I described in my first post in this thread & what cymysue described perfectly as the "sweet tart effect") but it is quite rare, but he has no explanation for it. He says that long term it does not cause any problems.
The ear pain has a lot to do with the weather here. It is really crazy- one day it will be 75 then the next 35 and I just feel it in my joints. I am going to be seeing him or talking to him on the phone again soon, and I have a list of questions to ask him so I will ask for more clarification on the subject. I want to ask him about:
1) starting a new anti-inflammatory (hoping that will help some of the pain).. It is a challenge for me because I am allergic to sulfa which means I am allergic to all of the new meds like vioxx, celebrex, and bextra. I am now on relafen and need a new one I think... I have been on naproxen, mobic, and ibuprofen but those don't help. Maybe he'll have another alternative
2) getting my teeth cleaned & cavities filled, I'm worried about the ramifications of having my mouth open for so long.. also I am afraid of the pain that will come along with that.
3) Muscle relaxant, other than soma (which I am taking now).. my muscles seem to be getting tense again in my shoulder and down my arm.
The reason I post these is in case you have some of the same concerns, then I can post what he said in response to my questions.

To answer your questions about my surgery, yes, it was bilaterial, and my discs are sutured into place. You are not being nosy..feel free to ask me any questions that you have, okay?!
Hope you are feeling better. I am off to read the other thread and will write more later.
.stacy.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Stacy,

I was wondering if your burning is on both sides or just one side? I only have it on the left side. Also are you in splint therapy and will you be having braces? I have been in splint therapy since my surgery in March. I get my bottom braces on next week.

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 12-02-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
(female)

goodwillstacy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle W
Stacy,

I was wondering if your burning is on both sides or just one side? I only have it on the left side. Also are you in splint therapy and will you be having braces? I have been in splint therapy since my surgery in March. I get my bottom braces on next week.

Thanks,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
I'm sorry that I haven't been around to answer your question. It's been really hectic here b/c we are selling our house and trying (being the keyword) to move. The weather has been changing from warm to cold, cold to warm, humid to not, etc and it's been killing my joints. ugh.
My burning is also ONLY on my left side. Strange, eh?? I had braces when I was little but will not be getting them again. It was never mentioned in my treatment plan.
I have been in splint therapy for as long as I have had TMJD. However the outcome has never been good.. BUT, now that I have had the surgery, my surgeon tells me that things that didn't work before, might work now that my joint is fixed. I need to get my splint adjusted & then I will start wearing it again.
I also have an appointment the 15th with a pain psychologist. I am very excited about it. (Don't remember if I mentioned this in my earlier posts)
You might want to look into it, it sounds promising. He will teach me ways to control my pain like meditation, biofeedback, breathing techniques, etc. I have never been one to go for "alternative" methods, because I am a very logical, scientific person, but I guess the realization that I will have this pain my entire life has motivated me to try and learn some ways to lessen it. My surgeon referred me to him.. maybe your surgeon knows of someone similar?
About the braces, have you needed them all along? Is your bite off? What is the reasoning behind getting them? My surgeon told me that right after the surgery my bite would be off b/c of swelling, but it went back to normal shortly after.
Now I am fine, despite some crowding b/c I didn't wear my retainer enough, lol.
Anyway, I hope you are doing well, update me whenever you get a chance!!!
<3
.stacy.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Talking Re: Burning in joint post-op? or not post-op?

I am so glad that you were able to sell your house. It is funny because we currently have our house up for sale. It has been on the market about 60 days. I think it is wondeful you sold it. I have a feeling that our home will be on the market until the spring. It has really slowed down here lately with the approaching of the holidays. We almost sold our house last week but the buyers choose the other house. We were in the final two choices. BUMMER!

I find it interesting that you had to have arthroplasy despite having braces earlier in life. The reason being is because I was lead to believe that if my bite had been correct I would not of displaced my disc by grinding. The theory being that with a correct bite you don't have the damage to the joint when grinding, because the bite is correct. To me that just kind of throws that theory right out the window.

I had a little minor crowding of my teeth prior to surgery, but no one had ever suggested to me that I needed braces. According to the orthodontist, I did have a cross bite, which could of contributed my problems. He could tell when he made the articulation model at my visit by the wear on my teeth. This is not anything that any dentist had ever picked up on or mentioned to me. If I had know I had a bite problem I would of definitely corrected before now.

You mentioned that your surgeon told you that you would be in pain now since the surgery. Is this something he mentioned prior to surgery? What does he consider the cause of the continuing pain to be? I was lead to believe that my pain would be gone after surgery.

After my arthroplasy my bite was really off due to the swelling, but it is still very off due to putting the disc back in the correct place. For example, my teeth touch on the right side but not the left side. I have an open bite. I am hoping that my teeth will move like they need to move, so I do not have to have orthognathic surgery on my lower jaw. It is a possibility, but I think it is one with anyone undegoing orthodontic treatment. It just depends on how well a person's teeth move. Also, I do not have the money for it. It is not covered under my insurance just like the TMJ surgery was not or my current braces, so I pray daily that I won't need it. I am tapped out. I am sure you can understand.

How far post op are you currently? I am almost nine months. I started wearing my splint about two weeks post op. I wore it for a few years prior to surgery with good results, but then I started having more problems. The OS explained the reason I got worse was because I was already displaced.

I am sorry to rattle on, but I am hoping that by exchanging information something I tell you may help you or vice versa.

I plan on seeing neurologist the 15th to get his perspective on my pain and to see if he thinks the arthrocentesis may help my current symptoms. I will let you know what I think.

Please let me know how the pain psychologist experience works for you. I have no heard of one in my area, but it is a small city. I may have to travel to Kansas City for that treatment.

What all have you tried to take for your pain? I am currently taking Neurontin 2700 mg and the Lidocaine patches.

Thanks and congratulations on the sell of your home.

Seasons Greetings,
Michelle

Closed Thread