It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 07:34 AM   #1

looney HB User
Question Does TMJ Cause Scalp Tightness?

Hi,

I have severely tight muscles in my scalp particularly. It is tight on top of my head, around my temples, in the back of my head, and also through my neck and shoulders. It is VERY VERY severe. I am not even close to being able to work, and I'm not functioning well at home either. I am in agony with this.

I am wondering if anybody else has severe tightness in the scalp due to TMJ. I wonder if it is definitely TMJ or not because I developed the tight muscles after an abrupt withdrawal from Klonopin. So I don't know if it's the withdrawal or the TMJ that is perpetuating the tightness.

I asked my dentist about this, and he just shrugged. Whatever!

Thanks,

Looney

Old 11-23-2003, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Re: Does TMJ Cause Scalp Tightness?

It seems very possible to me that your tight muscles in your scalp could be related to TMJ. I mean it causes tight muscles in my neck and shoulders why not the scalp?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User

Looney,

I was told many years ago that the temporals spasming can cause the scalp tightness and also pain. The temporals are large muscles compared to many of the others and when they stay in spasm, many other muscles will start to tighten and spasm, too.

It could be something else, but I've had this problem for years and it was caused by the TMJD.
Massage Therapy was the only way I found to relieve it.

If you don't mind me saying, I don't think a shrug from your Doctor was very professional or caring. This type of spasm is very real and very painful.

Cymy Sue

Last edited by Cymy Sue; 11-24-2003 at 01:41 AM.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:36 AM   #4

looney HB User

Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I don't know how I'm going to live like this. I'm in agony with the muscle spasm. Even my eyes feel like they're being pulled out of the sockets. It's insane.

I feel so trapped because physical therapy isn't helping and I can't take addictive medications. I get horrible withdrawal from even short-term low-dose use.

What am I supposed to do?

Is the splint supposed to help the temple spasms?

I'm scared.

Looney

Old 11-24-2003, 06:52 AM   #5
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

((((((((((((((Looney)))))))))))))))))).. .
I don't know what you are to do. But you are surrounded by caring people who are here for you. The only thing I can think of is an aggressive massage therapy program...something that can continue to break up your spasms on a regular basis, with the goal that one day the muscle will "remember" the non-spasm way more than the spasm way. Not very scientific, but that type of training makes sense to me.

Hugs,
Delilah

Old 11-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #6

looney HB User

Delilah,

Thank you. I do so much appreciate all the caring support found on these boards. We are all folks suffering and looking for answers.

Thank God we have one another so we're not alone.

I am pursuing the trigger point and deep tissue massage for my muscles. I pray it helps.

Thanks for caring,

Looney

Old 11-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #7

Isobelj HB User

I don't know what I can say that others haven't (I too think tmj could cause this muscle tightness), but I wanted to offer my sympathy. Looney, I remember you mentioned that hot showers give some temporary relief, could you maybe try some kind of water based therapy on a regular basis? I had a friend with a knee injury who found this kind of therapy helped a lot during the recovery period. I wish we could control our bodies better, I think of my muscles spasming and making things worse and I want to be able to tell them to stop, the body can be so efficient and self healing yet it seems to be able to be inadvertantly self destructive too. I do very much hope you find some relief.

hugs, Isobel

Last edited by Isobelj; 11-25-2003 at 12:42 AM.

Closed Thread