It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #1

socilbliss2002 HB User
Lightbulb SPLINTS CAUSING OPEN BITES, tmj hell

Hello fellow tmj peers,
I like most of you have undergone the splint therapy option, initially I just had pain on one side of the face, with clicking in the jaw joint, and then the jaw locked, so I was given a lovely little splint for my upper teeth, which after wearing for about one month, developed into an open bite, now i have muscle spasms from hell all over my face, head and neck.
The oral surgeon completely dismissed the idea of the splint causing the open bite (of course he would), my splint was never monitored.

Anyone got any advice on muscle spasms, i have been to osteopaths, accupuncture, massage, alexander technique,yoga, stopped coffee, you name it, spent thousands of dollars with no relief from these things, these muscles spasms are so intense i am starting not to function any longer, and almost feel at the end of the line. How can you sit with friends at dinner, or work for that matter, when there are muscles pulling in all directions in your face, let me know how others cope please??
I have tried amitryptiline which helped, but decided to stop taking them, but I still take alot of painkillers, i have had steroid injections, which i felt helped, but they are meant to be so terribly bad for you, killing nerves etc in the area.

Some professionals have told me this is predomintaly a women's disorder, TMJ. I have also had repetitive strain syndrome and suffer from anxiety, before any of the TMJ came about, and some experts now seem to be linking all these conditions together, let me know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
Re: SPLINTS CAUSING OPEN BITES, tmj hell

i can relate to you concerning the open bite and muscle pain. i wore an NTI splint for only 2.5-3 weeks and developed an openbite. further health professionals that i saw would not believe me when i said that it developed in that short of a time. the thing is, i know my body.. i know my mouth.. i know when things change! i hate when health pros think that they're gods and know all of the answers. blech.

since you're having severe muscle spams, have you considered botox injections? i had them done twice. the first time, it worked amazingly - i had very little facial muscular pain, and my migraines were almost nonexistant. it only lasted for 2 months, but there was some residual effects for a couple of months afterwards. the second time i got it, tho, it did not work at all and made my symptoms a lot worse. perhaps the botox would be more beneficial for you.. it's worth thinking about it. i know that botox isnt a cure, but perhaps it could give you some temporary relief.

currently, im wearing an anterior repositioning splint, which has dramatically helped my facial muscular pain as well as pain from my SCMs. i dont have enough space between my condyle and fossa, so this splint is pulling my mandible down and forward.

anyway, i wish you well. take care,

- saaraah.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:13 PM   #3

socilbliss2002 HB User

hI SARAH,
thanks for your reply, I did notice somewhere in the messages previously, you had talked about NTI device, funny I was looking at getting one of those, and now they do have on their website, in small print, that their splints can cause open bites in some people.
I had the same problem as you, after one month of wearing my splint, I noticed i could no longer hold food between my front teeth, and something was wrong with my bite, then I had a look in mirror and noticed gap between upper and lower front teeth, I also had proof, I had a mould of my teeth from a year before, and that indeed was definate proof that the open bite had occured. My oral surgeon (THE BEST IN TOWN MIGHT I ADD), completely denied that fact the splint could do this, I kept bringing it up again and again, saying how it was the splint that caused this, maybe he was worried I would sue, or something, I wasnt intending on that, I just would have liked a bit of honesty, My splint was never monitored, I was just given it, sent on my merry way, and told to come back in 3 months. When i did go back, he kept saying i was a SPECIAL CASE, and that he had only come across two others in his whole professional career that had devoloped OPEN BITES FOR NO APPARENT REASON, so I did some research, and spoke to other professionalsl, who said YES INDEED, SPLINTS CAN CAUSE IRREVISIBLE CHANGES TO YOUR BITE. I wrote that oral surgeon, a wee nasty letter, he was so uninformative, never told me what TMJ was, how it worked, what muscles were involved, just a blank stare at me.
The scary thing is, you would never have thought, that a bit of plastic could cause so much trouble, and I know for some people they work, but they should come with WARNING SIGNS, so at least you have an option.
I never had so much pain and spasms until after I wore that splint and my bite changed.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But the crazy thing is in saying all that, I am looking at getting another one, for the bottom teeth, to try and help the spasms, I am beginning not to function, same as a lot of others, and we get desperate.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

i completely understand your frustration. it's incredibly difficult to know what to do, who to trust, and what to believe. im in splint therapy right now, and im hoping that it wont make me worse or cause irreversible changes. nobody seems to give straight answers that make sense. some dentists say that repositioning splints are conservative and others say that they can cause irreversible damage. argh.

i hope that you find a good dentist who will treat you well. take care,

- saaraah.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #5

JanisYang HB User

saaraah,

Would you mind if I asked you one more question? It is, is there any chance of fixing the anterior open bite with any type of splint? I really can't afford to have braces. My oral surgeon said there's no way to fix it other than with the braces. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

janisyang - i really have no idea how to fix an openbite. perhaps someone else has an idea. :)

- saaraah.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #7

antoni HB User

socilbliss,

I was given a plastic bite guard which was given nearly 2 years ago for grinding. I noticed right away my front teeth started shifting and getting crooked like a month later. And that was from a general dentist. The bite guard was $304.00 and I paid 100 down thinking that the most of it would be covered by insurance. I heard nothing from the dentist for like 2 years and never paid the balance on it as it DID ME NO GOOD WHATSOEVER. Then a couple of months ago the dentist got a lawyer collection agency hounding me for payment. I sent her a nasty letter too explaining how it didn't work and there were more serious problems involved with my bite that she didn't address. I believe the debt has been written off and probably found it's way to my credit report. I also found false hope in a prosthodontist that I paid $7,000.00 for restorations where he said he would get my bite to 100%. Guess what, I now have an open bite. I like you have a model of my teeth as proof of what my bite was before and INDEED, he made it worse by doing the restorations too low. And now other dentists tell me the only way to correct the open bite is through braces -- cost $5,000. One dentist told me that the open bite wouldn't bother alot of people(that they are born with it). But all I can say is having a somewhat normal bite and going to a crappy open bite from bad dentistry nearly overnite with mishapen teeth feels HORRIBLE not to mention all the TMJD pain we have to live with. I like you was tempted to confront the prosthodontist who did it. But I knew it would do no good. All I get is what happened to me wouldn't have happened to most people. THey take absolutely no responsibility for what they do. And even when you present them with evidence that they did something wrong they make up some excuse. The biggest is that no dentist can ever predict how a patient will react to treatment. They have no control over that. Of course they don't tell you this before but after they mess you up and take your money. Here on the board it has come up how splints or equilibation can sometime make the bite worse. I plan to get jaw x-rays taken next month to see just how bad the damage is and if there is dislocation.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi there hun,

I too suffer from TMJ. I've had it for a few years and this is like my 4th splint. First of all, the dentist you went to should of adjusted you splint at least every 2 weeks to every month. It is crucial this be done so that the splint fits right. It seems it is his fault this happened if he just left you like that and didn't do any adjusting. Also, my dentist told me that braces do help. I know it is expensive, but I am going to see an orthodontists this month to see what he thinks. I cannot keep buying these splints when they wear out. It is getting expensive.

I also suffer from spasms. I used to have them bad at night. They would wake me up and I couldn't get my teeth to stop clenching. It was very weird. My dentist gave me a mild muscle relaxer and that seemed to calm the spasms down a whole lot. In fact, I haven't had an episode in a while and I'm off the medication. You may want to look into that.

I hope it all works out for you hun. Are there any cures to this open mouth thing? First time I've ever heard of it.

Chantel

Old 12-07-2003, 08:33 AM   #9

TMJgirl HB User

Can someone tell me what an openbite is? I have been thru TMJ HELL!!! I spent 6,000 and my splint completely changed my bite (which I was told was the plan) so it did succeed there, but..........now my jaw sits further into my skull so it feels, and my symptoms are worse like the ears are clogged all the time, and before I only had one side like that now it is two. I have had multiple adjustments, not like the dentist ignored this, just didnt work. Sooooooooooo....I took the damn thing out of my mouth and I am not putting it back, so I will suffer until hopefully the ligaments and muscles regain their strength again, and go back to the status quo which was better then now. I lift weights at an old time gym and my trainer is 70 years retired boxer. He has me doing a very strange technique for the past couple of days and my jaw isnt popping like before. I take 15 pounds of round weights, put a towel in the center hole and dangle it from my mouth while he counts to 60. I do 4 sets of these every day and the jaw isnt popping as bad. I am hoping that this can help the mayhem that the splint has caused. I wore the spling for two months and then took it out about 10 days ago. I am finished with it...........Maybe well enough needs to be left alone.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

tmjgirl - an openbite is when your back molars touch, but there's still a gap between the front top and bottom teeth. it looks like you're not biting down all of the way because of the gap.

i hope that explanation makes sense. :)

- saaraah.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #11

TMJgirl HB User

Saaraah:
Thanks for the information. Yup, that is what I have, an openbite. Did the splint cause this? What will happen and will it go back to where it was? The jaw feels like it is pushed back to far in my mouth and the ears clog terribly. Helllllpppp.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

tmjgirl - my openbite was caused by an NTI [nighttime splint] that i only wore for 2.5-3 weeks. even tho i havent worn it for almost 4 years, my openbite has not gone back to normal.

i really dont know what will happen. ive sort of made myself believe that it'll always be like this, which i guess is fine except for the whole asthetic appeal. i personally am not pursuing any treatment to fix it.

- saaraah.

Old 12-08-2003, 05:04 AM   #13

TMJgirl HB User

Saaraah:
I have a gap between the top and bottom teeth, kinda an overbite, and the molars are higher then the front, but I dont know if this is an actual over bite. I looked it up on the net, and I dont look like the pictures there. All I know is that my ears are clogged worse and my symptoms are worse since I have had the splint. Thanks for the answer.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
(female)

hdoug67 HB User

I, too, have suffered an open bite caused by wearing the NTI appliance in 2003. I have been to several professionals regarding treatment and have concluded that there is no method of treatment I would consider because I could be worse off than I am now. Has anyone had their open bite caused from the NTI restored successfully?

Also, did anyone who wore this NTI in 2003 or prior ever receive a written warning notification about the potential for the open bite?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
(male)

man548 HB User

When I started splint therapy -- wearing a daytime splint and a nighttime splint -- I began to notice an open bite developing. So I eventually stopped wearing the daytime one, and continued wearing the nighttime splint (called a Bionator), and this allowed me to relax the jaws during the day, but at least I have the protection during the night with the nighttime splint keeping the jaws aligned correctly, and preventing bruxing.

My open bite eventually disappeared, and the TMJ problems (clicking, pain, etc.) never came back. Consider that approach; it might work for you.

Closed Thread