It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Is tenderness under the chin a symptom of TMJ?

I have a little bit of tenderness right under my chin and sometimes my ears/face feels a little warm. I'm just not that familiar with TMJ as I don't experience it that often (Knock on wood). I hope what I am feeling are sypmtoms of TMJ (It's also that time of the month too!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #2

sandra1 HB User
Re: Is tenderness under the chin a symptom of TMJ?

Singer1

Yes, I believe the warmth or tenderness under the chin is a symptom of TMJ....I have it also. I tend to get it more when my tmjd is more inflammed at times. I don't know anybody else on this board who has this symptom. Does your pointy chin area feel like its very warm or irritated....my feels like that now? I don't have those feelings any where else on the face or jaw.

Have a good day.
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Mine is right under my chin, not really on my chin. I also have one side of my cheek (closest to my ear) that has been burning today and my ear feels sort of pressure like. I have a headache alittle bit and my whole left side feels yucky! Were you actually diagnosed with TMJ? I was told that I have it on my right side but my symptoms are always on the left!!! What's up with that!

Old 04-05-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

It is one that I have experienced also, the heat I think is from the inflamation, I also would feel almost a numbness from that side where the ear hurt to the middle of my lip.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I was told that I have it on my right side but my symptoms are always on the left!!! What's up with that!
the reason symptoms are felt on the other side is because the muscles tend to overcompensate, which leads to pain. so, your right disc could be displaced, so your left side is compensating.

- saaraah.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

But wouldn't I have pain on the right side as well.....or not? My pain is ALL on the left side. What does one do for the pain besides IB Profin?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User

Quote:
But wouldn't I have pain on the right side as well.....or not? My pain is ALL on the left side. What does one do for the pain besides IB Profin?
not necessarily. the body is a very difficult thing to understand, and it tries very hard to compensate for problems. over time, you could begin to develop pain on the right side especially if you get DJD.

you have to determine what type of pain you're having.. muscle relaxants [flexeril, skelaxin, etc] for muscular pain.. NSAIDs [ibuprofen, indomethacin, vioxx, etc] for inflammation/arthritis.. narcotics..

i'd go to a dentist/health professional and get their opinion on what would work best for your symptoms. massage therapy and acupuncture are good, too.

- saaraah.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:52 PM   #8

sandra1 HB User

Singer1

I had tmjd for years.....10 years. Any inflammation or warmth you feel on your face whether that be on your chin or under your chin, near your ears or cheeks or wherever you have it, comes from the inflammation in your jaw joints. Evenually those feelings will decrease or go away when your tmjd improves with time.

Wish you well.

Sandi

Old 04-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Sandra,

Thank You!!!! I thought something was TERRIBLY wrong because I do feel the warmth on my face. How long would your episodes last and were they pretty miserable for you? What all symptoms do you experience? I can't tell weather I am having a sinus infection (although I have no nasal congestion) or I am dealing with my TMJ. I haven't really dealt with TMJ very much and all of this pain is so new to me. Thanks for your response! Did you ever run a slight fever with your TMJ? I haven't as of yet, but by the warm feeling on my face, sometimes I feel like I do, but like I said, I haven't yet (knock on wood).

Old 04-06-2004, 03:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Sandra,

Thank You!!!! I thought something was TERRIBLY wrong because I do feel the warmth on my face. How long would your episodes last and were they pretty miserable for you? What all symptoms do you experience? I can't tell weather I am having a sinus infection (although I have no nasal congestion) or I am dealing with my TMJ. I haven't really dealt with TMJ very much and all of this pain is so new to me. Thanks for your response! Did you ever run a slight fever with your TMJ? I haven't as of yet, but by the warm feeling on my face, sometimes I feel like I do, but like I said, I haven't yet (knock on wood).
I saw a post here that listed symptoms, or you can do a search on the internet. The list is pretty long, some common ones are:
Pain is usually on one side
Ear pain, popping, cracking, ringing
neck & gland pain
Headache
Pain in eyes
Pain when you press the bone right below ear
Teeth pain
Tingling in face, lips etc.
Swollen glands in neck
Pain under chin
Heat & warmth on face
Sore throat when swallowing
Lump sensation in throat
Popping sound in jaw

These are some of the more common ones, but the list can go on & on.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

WOW! I have MOST of these symptoms!!!!

Old 04-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #12

sandra1 HB User

Singer1

My symptoms are mostly jaw tension, muscles spasms, sorness, warmth on chin, etc......but I had this jaw problem for 10 years, and with treatment I had improved over a long period of time, and I was at the stage where my jaw was at a much more comfortable level without much of a problem. But I had a setback last year which was caused by my splint that was improperly made for me. So, now I believe I am getting the proper treatment I deserve. That warm feeling I get on my chin may last only a day or so and I may be ok after that.....but in your case, it might last longer because you may be in the early stages of tmjd.....but everybody is different regarding the pains in the tmj. My warmth doesn't really bother me that much because it's not bad and I know its will be ok in a day or so. That fever feeling you have sounds like it's all related to the warmth over your cheeks, ears, and chin. When I had that warm feeling on my chin two days ago, it made me feel like I had a very slight fever or something.

I hope this helps, and I wish you a great weekend.

Sandi

Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Thank You! I appreciate your feedback!

Closed Thread