It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Cost of Splint

The dentist I saw last week gave me a written statement for estimated costs of treatment. The Splint treatment will cost $2K. Isn't this a bit high? This will be my first splint - are there any questions I should ask him regarding the splint itself? He said it could take anywhere from 2 -12 months before I see any improvement - is that about right?

Old 07-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #2

SRH_NF_isback HB User
Re: Cost of Splint

Thelma-Louise:

The 2K quote sounds reasonable to me if it includes all the diagnostic testing. My splint was around 1300 dollars, plus around 700 dollars in diagnostic testing. And even if it is 2K just for the splint, many have found it difficult to get much cheaper than that, as some dentists have been known to charge up to 6 or 8 thousand! If your finances are low, I'm sure the dentist would offer a payment plan. The average amount of time one should be in a splint is around 6 months, but it differs with each individual case in accordance with the severity of that person's condition. So, your doctor's estimate of 2-10 months sounds quite vague, but it is reasonable since TMJ treatment doesn't work the same for every person. Of course, the efficacy of the treatment depends on the expertise of your dentist and on a close monitoring of your condition throughout the treatment period. I wish you luck in your treatment.

Yours,
Sheldon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Cost of Splint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
The dentist I saw last week gave me a written statement for estimated costs of treatment. The Splint treatment will cost $2K. Isn't this a bit high? This will be my first splint - are there any questions I should ask him regarding the splint itself? He said it could take anywhere from 2 -12 months before I see any improvement - is that about right?

Hi there - as a comparison, my entire Phase I treatment cost $5,400 which includes bite splint(s), follow-up visits, adjustments, etc. My diagnositic X-rays were a separate charge of $300. I'm now onto splint #4 and each time a new one is made my ortho bills the insurance $780 just for the splint, and then additional costs of $150 for office visits/adjustments, etc. So far, I've been reimbursed about $1,000 from insurance.

Katie G

Old 07-07-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

Mosmom HB User

Someone else on another thread was just asking about the cost of treatment and I gave them the following information - I can actually give a more accurate cost for us now because I looked it up at lunch. Our Phase I splint treatment cost $2500 - which included xrays, initial exam, a night only mouthguard, then two splints and adjustments.

Phase I - splint therapy has cost us about $2,000 (maybe more). I would have to get out my checkbook and add it up. It was like $500 for the splint then $130 a month for treatment (including a couple new/different splints). Phase II will cost about $9,000. That includes $2,000 to an oral surgeon who will be putting in some tiny anchors in her jaw (do a google search on "The Use of Skeletal Anchorage in Open Bite Treatment" to see what that is about), then $6,500 to the orthodontist who will spend a year pulling her back molars up using those anchors to close her bite then another couple years in braces. Our insurance has paid for NONE of this.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
Hi:
My phase l treatment was $2,500 which included x-rays, initial exam, splint and adjustments. This does not include the MRI. I was in my splint for approximately 10 months before moving on to phase ll.
Tiffany

Old 07-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

spacenut99 HB User

Wow, I can't believe how expensive the cost of treatment has been for you guys! My diagnostic x-rays cost $200 Canadian and my splint along with 4 or 5 visits to the dentist cost about $500. Any small adjustments that were made did not cost me anything. I'll have 3 more visits which will cost around 90 dollars each, but all that is around $1000 Canadian in total, and most has been covered by my parent's insurance. I'm assuming that everyone is quoting US dollars which makes the prices even more unbelievable for me!

It seems outrageous that a splint should cost more than a couple of hundred dollars. Does anyone know if some of this subsidized in Canada & that's why it's cheaper?

Old 07-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
(female)

meditation HB User

I have to say that sounds about right. Some of my splints have run me $3K. Of course, that does include adjustments. The splint I am currently waiting on cost me $1,200. Ouch! But, like I have said, it isn't the worst one I have paid for. Plus, if it gets rid of my pain, right now, I would pay just about anything.

The usual round of splint treatment is about 3-6; but, can be longer depending on your problem. If you feel it is too high, then try to get a second opinion.

Last edited by meditation; 07-08-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #8

SRH_NF_isback HB User

Spacenut:

I'm actually in southern Ontario, so the prices I quoted were in Canadian dollars.

Regards,
Sheldon

Old 09-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

Mosmom HB User

Bump for April Dawne

Closed Thread