It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #1

beach_tiglet HB User
Anyone have TMJ ultrasound?

Has anyone had TMJ ultrasound done on them before? I had it done last week for temporal tendonitis. It felt great at the time, and really seemed to help the side that was aggravated. However, the side that has more of the joint/disc problem got really tight and popping again. They were going to do the ultrasound again next week just to make sure the tendonitis was taken care of. I was wondering if anyone had had this done before, and if you had had similar problems. I do NOT want to start that side acting up again. Maybe they can just do the side that was having the problems? I don't know. He seemed to know what size head to use and what to avoid and everything, but boy, did it sure aggravate that one side. Thanks, Dana

Old 08-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #2

DeepBreaths HB User
Re: Anyone have TMJ ultrasound?

I've had ultrasound done by a chiropractor. The first time, about 3 or 4 years ago, was a success. That was when I had my second TMJ flare up, (painful cracking when opening wide, & pain with chewing). With ultrasound & soft diet, it went away in a few weeks.

Fast forward to this year. After seeing my reg. dentist & some other consultations that didn't go well, as well as some other health scares, I went back to my old chiro seeking some kind of relief. He performed ultrasound (very DEEP, trying to get to the pterygoid muscles). He was pressing so hard it hurt, but I thought, he helped me before, I have to trust him. Well, the first few hours after it was done I felt great. I had more movement, less tension. I was so happy. Then, that evening, I had pain in the joints far worse than I had before - firey pain that was in the joint & temples & lasted for days. It felt like my muscles, now that they were looser, were yanking the joint around. I went back to him one more time, told him what was going on, so he laid off it that time. I know he was just trying to help me, but it didn't work.

Just wanted to let you know to be careful! Ultrasound can help, but I can attest to it causing pain as well. Who is doing the ultrasound? A Phys. therapist? Just be sure to let them know what is going on - that you feel it irritated the one side. Since the therapist or whoever did it seemed to know what they were doing, I'm sure they'll know what to do (or not to do) when you inform them of the pain.

Good luck!

(added with edit...) I've also received very gentle ultrasound on the masseter muscles, which caused me no joint irritation. So, the method used to apply the ultrasound does seem to matter.

Last edited by DeepBreaths; 08-01-2004 at 06:16 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
(female)

Dragsterfever HB User
Re: Anyone have TMJ ultrasound?

I never had ultrasound for my TMJ, but I do have tendonitas in my left arm and wrist and I've had ultrasound on that. It really didn't help me, and it hurt. After I had it done, I felt worse. She must have had it set way too high. If it's set at the correct setting, it shouldn't hurt and should help.

Closed Thread