It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #1

tacw01 HB User
Loose Teeth and TMJ!!

Hi There,

I was diagnosed with TMJ about 6 years ago. Since then, I've done splint therapy twice and made the rounds of physicians, chiropractors, pysiotherapists etc. etc. with no real improvement. My jaws catch, click and grate. I have bad neck and shoulder pain and the pain in my teeth and gums drive me nuts. I gave up trying to fix the situation about 4 years ago and decided just to try to live wiyth the pain. I was doing pretty good, but now my teeth feel loose at times. This moves around in my mouth and is pretty much driving me nuts. I'm a a nighttime grinder and have been wearing various nighttime splints. Have also tried a cheapie from walmart. Has anyone ever experienced this sensation? I did just have a bridge put in in February of this year. Maybe that's causing my bite to shift. I keep getting teeth extracted only to have the pain move to other ones. If anyone has any ides on this subject, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
(female)

Ann123 HB User
Re: Loose Teeth and TMJ!!

Hi Tracy, I am sorry you have had such a bad time of it and haven't found anyone useful to help you with your pain. on your question, I think with the loose teeth maybe you should ask your dentist about it. It could be some bone loss or gum problems. He will probably be able to tell from an xray if there is something that needs to be followed up on by a periodontist. Good luck to you. Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 01:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User

Tracy,
Ann's right. Bone loss and gum problems will cause loose teeth.
Grinding will keep them loose.

Any type of dental work such as a bridge, if not seated perfectly can throw your bite off and casue you to grind or clench even worse.

Even though you already have a diagnosis of TMJ, maybe seeing a Dentist for an evaluation of all of these problems would be helpful. A close look at the bridge and possibly a different splint would help.

I had one tooth removed and several canaled to stop this kind of pain after dealing with it for years. They were all good teeth and hurt due to pain referred from compressed nerves.
Later, with splint therapy and the muscles relaxed, I realized I may could have avoided having this done to good teeth.

Cymy Sue

Old 08-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #4

tacw01 HB User

Thanks very much for your replies! I have an appointment booked with my dentist for next week. I'm at the point where i just want to have all my teeth pulled and go with detures, but i know that it not the answer. Had a couple extracted already and the pain moved to other teeth. Seems like every time my jaw joint cracks, pain travels down my jaw. I hate it. Anyways,
I really appreciate the feedback.

Tracy

Old 08-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #5

ggharger HB User
Wink Re: Loose Teeth and TMJ!!

Hi,
I have had TMJ since 1992 and I like you have been through the loops of dentists and splints one costing me $ 850.00 with no help. But one day I ran across a web site and I don't remember which one, but I found some TMJ exercises that work wonders, so much that I passed it on to my dentist. What ever you do, do not chew gum! Cut out as much stress out of your life as possible. These exercises will align your jaw up and it is amazing the difference it makes. Also I picked up a U shaped pillow and I don't sleep without it and it makes a world of difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacw01
Hi There,

I was diagnosed with TMJ about 6 years ago. Since then, I've done splint therapy twice and made the rounds of physicians, chiropractors, pysiotherapists etc. etc. with no real improvement. My jaws catch, click and grate. I have bad neck and shoulder pain and the pain in my teeth and gums drive me nuts. I gave up trying to fix the situation about 4 years ago and decided just to try to live wiyth the pain. I was doing pretty good, but now my teeth feel loose at times. This moves around in my mouth and is pretty much driving me nuts. I'm a a nighttime grinder and have been wearing various nighttime splints. Have also tried a cheapie from walmart. Has anyone ever experienced this sensation? I did just have a bridge put in in February of this year. Maybe that's causing my bite to shift. I keep getting teeth extracted only to have the pain move to other ones. If anyone has any ides on this subject, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Tracy

Old 08-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #6

tacw01 HB User

ggharger,

Thanks for you comments. I just ordered a book about TMJ that seemed to be highly recommended, although the name escapes me right now. I know it has exercises in it, so I will definitely give it a try.

thanks again.

Tracy

Closed Thread