It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
TMJ and salivary glands

Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering for those of you that suffer from this annoying disorder, when you are having symptoms, does it ever affect your salivary glands (the little balls right under your chin) I was told that I have TMJ, but I don't know enough about it to know weather that tenderness is all apart of TMJ symptoms or actually a salivary (if I am saying that right) problem itself. Can someone help me figure this out?

Old 09-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

Debbyefk HB User
Re: TMJ and salivary glands

Your Parotid gland (salivary), is under ear by the jaw. It can become enlarged from gravel in it and small stones that can block it. It generally becomes larger while eating since that stimulates saliva and then goes back to normal size afterwards. If it happens while eating or sucking on candy that may be what it is. You might want to see an ENT and have it checked out

HTH
Debby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

Grrmotts HB User

I have the same problem. And the more I play with it, the more tender it gets, hard not to tho. But I don't have an explanation for it. All I know is the body is weird, and it's interesting how your jaw can affect so many things.

Last edited by Grrmotts; 09-26-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #4

lifetimer HB User

I have the same thing...on the same side as my TMJ. I had it there since I was 16 and I am now 32. I have seen my regular dr. who said it was a cyst. an ENT that said it was a lymph node and not to worry about it if it has been there that long. I am seeing a new ENT now and he wants to needle biopsy it. I have to admit, I am really scared due to everything I read on the internet, which I shouldn't do...It just makes me sick with fear. I will update once I find out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrmotts
I have the same problem. And the more I play with it, the more tender it gets, hard not to tho. But I don't have an explanation for it. All I know is the body is weird, and it's interesting how your jaw can affect so many things.

Closed Thread