It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #1

antoni HB User
getting refund back from dentist

Hi I posted a while ago on getting money back from the dentist.

The dentist placed an onlay on my tooth which was suppose to "build up" my bite. Instead it's too low and screws up my bite worse.

To make a long story short, I went to a TMJD clinic which said the bad bite and ill fitting crowns were the problem. A letter was sent to the dentist.

I met with him complaining what a lousy job he did and he agrees to refund me the cost of the onlay. Mind you I had paid him nearly 10,000 for equilibration(which didn't work and inlays). He kept saying that my jaw was the problem not the restorations which was a big fat lie. He made the restorations too low now I have back teeth which are too short and a cause of my tmjd symptoms.

Anyhow, he agrees to send me a check in the mail for approx $1,000 in six months. My lawyer says this was a stall tactic and to contact him about getting the money sooner. His assistant says that in order to get the money earlier I would need to sign a WAIVER. Now I paid him nearly $10,000 and he tries to get off the hook completely for $1,000, I say no way. I contacted his office and told his assistant that I agreed to getting money back for one tooth and that nothing was ever mentioned by the dentist signing the waiver. He tells his assistant that I agreed to sign the waiver at the time that he told me he would give me $1,000. NOW THIS WAS A COMPLETE LIE. I then said I would sign the waiver for a $6,000 refund as his work was so bad. Now I am getting the RUN AROUND by the office and prlbably won't get anything back unless I sue.

I am so disgusted. Someone told me that's why people never get money back from dentists/doctors.

At one point the office told me that this is standard procedure that automatically it's expected if you get MONEY back you must sign a WAIVER.

I was wondering what other people;s experiences have been with this.

Thank you

a

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #2

antoni HB User
Re: getting refund back from dentist

I empathize with your situation. He keeps sending you bills --
Did you sign a release before he treated you??? Right there I see how they can get out of responsibility. It's very scary. They are suppose to warn you bout the risks up front. If you signed a release before hand he may be off the hook. With teeth and jaw it is very hard to prove they were negligent and the ones that are messing people up are so slick that they know how to lie to get out of it. Have you seen personal injury attornies at all??? In my case earlier in the year I found a lawyer to take my case but there were so many previous dentists involved and I would have to have paid for records and a second opinion. Unfortunately the case would have beeen against 2 dentists and the statute of limitations ran out on the first dentist, so the second dentist is the only one to sue. His office manager only perked up when I mentioned suing. I said no I didn't want to do that but I wanted to settle. I think the only way they take notice is if you threaten to sue and then how many people really do. In my case it would have cost about $4,000 to sue and file a suit against him in court. The lawyer wouldn't work pro bono and I was afraid I would get stuck with other costs as well -- you never know. Then the lawyer sends me a note in the mail to find another lawyer because the statute of limitations ran out and I didn't get back to him in time whether I was going to sue or not. I could sue in small claims court but then if they don't show up a certain number of time it could get thrown out then you have to try and get the money from them even if you win through legal means which is a pain.

I get alot of jaw and back neck pain because I can feel my teeth are too low.I had my wisdom teeth out many years ago and had no problem.
The dentist I am dealing with is so arrogant and such a slick liar, I feel it wouldn't be worth my trouble to do anything at this point.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 AM   #3

AngelZoo HB User
Re: getting refund back from dentist

This is something I'm really worried about, when the time comes that I go to see anyone for some real treatment. Not so much about the billing, but inproper treatment.

Closed Thread