It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

Evonne667 HB User
TMJ worse in the cold

Hi

Just wondering wether this is my sinuses playing up or my TMJ.

The other day I was walking outside for approx 1/2 hour it was blowing cold wind on my face. Then I noticed one side of my face (cheek and eye) began to feel tender and slightly swollen. Can anyone relate that cold weather can make TMJ worse or could this be my sinuses flaring up even though I didn't have any nasal discharge or anything.

Cheers

Evonne

Old 10-30-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User
Re: TMJ worse in the cold

Cold can make TMJ worse for some people...I wear ear muffs and a scarf when it's starting to get cold outside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #3

AngelZoo HB User

Yeah, the cold really effects my tmj a lot. Even if I'm in the car, and it's already coolish out, and my fiance will durn on his AC THAT will make my TMJ start to hurt

Old 10-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User

Most definitely, the cold can make TMJ worse. When I go out in the cold and I am going to be out for very long I use a scarf around my face.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
Inactive

littlegreek25 HB User

I live in Arizona, so usually the cold is not too much of a problem for me. It's now November, and it's supposed to be 80 degrees on Friday! However, in the mornings it's starting to get a little chilly. This morning it was cold and windy, and it made my jaw hurt soooo bad. Cold is bad enough, add wind to that and I'm a goner. I don't have a car so I walk to work, and this morning I couldn't walk fast enough! I want to get one of those ski masks where just your eyes and mouth show. I'm sure I'd get a lot of funny looks, but at least I wouldn't hurt!

Amy

Old 11-03-2004, 01:27 AM   #6

RachelS HB User

YES! It makes it SO much worse when it's really cold. I think it's because when you're cold your entire body tenses up and shiver, and that can definitely put a lot of stress on your jaw. Also, it's sort of the same thing if you've ever broken a bone. It can cause the joints to swell and hurt more in the cold.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

heymillie2 HB User

I hate to say it but yes, cold weather does cause your jaw to hurt. I've been in a flare up for almost 3 weeks now. I noticed once the weather started getting cooler, my jaw would hurt, especially at those friday night football games. I also noticed that with the rain and cold, its making it 100 times worse, and since I live in Illinois, thats all we seem to be getting lately. Soo good luck with winter coming!

Old 11-04-2004, 02:26 PM   #8

Jschild7 HB User

I live in Arizona, where it's always HOT. However, when I'm in the car with the air conditioning blowing, I have to point it away from my face. Otherwise, it REALLY hurts!

Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #9

peanutgal HB User
Lightbulb Re: TMJ worse in the cold

Yes, most joint problems seem to get worse with changes in weather. Coldness and dampness are the worst.

Keep in mind that when you are in a situation like that to be very mindful of your posture. Squinting eyes from the wind or sun, leaning into the wind with frontal head posture and clenching teeth from shivering are all major contributors to inflaming those jaws and making them sore.

Blessed Journeys ~

Closed Thread