It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #1

kikaida01 HB User
How to clean your mouth splint

My dentist told me to soak my mouth splint with half a cap of clorox in a glass of water. He also told me I could soak it in Efferdent. What do you use to clean your mouth splint? If you have the semi-hard plastic rubbery type mouth splint is it better to leave it soaked in water when not in use? A few months ago I developed a case of oral thrush. I found out from doctor that it probably was caused by not cleaning the mouth splint good.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
(female)

sunflower22 HB User
Re: How to clean your mouth splint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikaida01
My dentist told me to soak my mouth splint with half a cap of clorox in a glass of water. He also told me I could soak it in Efferdent. What do you use to clean your mouth splint? If you have the semi-hard plastic rubbery type mouth splint is it better to leave it soaked in water when not in use? A few months ago I developed a case of oral thrush. I found out from doctor that it probably was caused by not cleaning the mouth splint good.

You want to soak it in mouthwash you can also brush it with toothpase using your toothbrush.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

mommy2scl HB User

I soak mine in antibacterial efferdent and brush it with toothpaste. Mine is a hard acrylic type splint.

Mommy

Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Do you clean it everyday? I clean mine twice a day with toothpaste and my toothbrush. I have worn one since 1996 and never had a problem with them being cleaned that way. It is imperative that you keep them clean because they harbor bacteria.

Karen

Old 12-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
(male)

Rawspice HB User

I have a plastic rubbery type mouth guard and it has started to turn yellow so is it okay to still use it.? I have only cleaned it with cold water because that is what they told me at the dentist. Is it really okay to use a tooth brush to clean it because I am worried I might split it. The dentist never told me to use mouth wash or anything else. He just said not to clean it with hot water because that would change the shape of it. My mouth guard also has some holes in it.

Closed Thread