It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Evonne667 HB User
Pulling feeling in throat

Hi all

This might sound weird, but there again nothing ever is with TMJ....lol

For the last 2 weeks or so I have been getting a pulling feeling in throat and face. I think its from the muscle tension in my neck but I just need a little bit of reassurance due to my over active mind.

Thanks in advance.

Evonne

PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User
Re: Pulling feeling in throat

Feel halfway between your shoulder and neck and see if you can find a tender spot that correlates to the pulling...that's the trapezius. Then check on the side of your neck below your earlobe about halfway down to your shoulder, that's your SCM...both of those muscles will refer pain and tightness up to the face and head. You might want to see a massage therapist or call your dentist in the morning if he's good with trigger points or call a physiatrist and ask if they know about trigger points. It's hard to tell from your description if that's really it or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

Thanks Daydreamer for your reply.

I am waiting on appointment for physio with the hols and that.

I think it is the SCM and trapezius muscles which are tensed up, as I can feel the pulling feeling when I massage my temples and then let go. If I am right that is the trapezius muscles isn't it? And I get tightness at the sides of the neck which I think is the SCM muscle. Can't wait for physio and splint. I get splint this Thursday :-) hopefully it will do some good until physio.

Evonne

PS: I think my TMJ is from poor posture as it seems to flare up more when I am sat down in a poor position. ie....head forward :-( got to get out of that habit.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

My main points of tension are my SCM, Traps, and sub-occipitals.
I have multiple trigger points there and I do have a MT who works on those areas.
Posture is an issue for me as well.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #5

britishgirl2 HB User

where exactly is this feeling? Does it feel like it's right below your earlobes in the sides of your neck/throat area? This is where I get that "tightness" and it drives you crazy

Old 01-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

Hi Britishgirl

Spot on.....thats where it feels tight on me, I had my thyroid checked thinking thats what it could be, but that come back fine and the doc said it muscle spasm/tension through the TMJ. :-(

Evonne

PS: It drives me crazy to.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #7

britishgirl2 HB User

I think of all the symptoms that I have "acquired" with TMJ this has to be the most frustrating and annoying one....I mean what can you do to relieve it - nothing I try helps and it's there 24/7 - no amount of anti-inflammatory or pain reliever gets rid of this feeling - when I lay down and put heat on my jaw is the only time it feels a little better. I have had this continuously for 6 months now and some days I just cry because it is so frustrating.....in the beginning I had panic attacks because I thought my throat was closing up, even though it's actually not in the throat itself! I still get the attacks once ina while if it gets really bad. How do you handle this?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

If you find any relief whatsoever please let me know as I haven't found relief at all other than having a soak in a bath or shower, but 30 mins to 1 hour of getting out it comes back :-(. At my dentist tomorrow I will ask her and I will let you know what she says.

Evonne

Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #9

britishgirl2 HB User

PLEASE let me know what your dentist says - I would be very interested to know. My dentist appointment isn't until the 20th and this is just getting annoying.........today for some reason it is really bad. Yesterday evening I moved my jaw and it felt like it slipped or something as my teeth crashed together - now today I'm just suffering horribly with this pulling feeling.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
(male)

gregonzola HB User

I know exactly what you guys are talking about, that icky pulling of muscles under the chin, I've got the sore spots on the trapezius muscles. I've got the constricting throat feeling.

I've got a question for you guys since you seem to have really similar symptoms to some of mine. Do you find it hard/uncomfortable to talk. When I talk, my head get's this nasty stuffy feeling, and this is worse when my throat is feeling constricted.

Also, have you guys experienced a lot of fatigue? I've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue but I also have all of these TMJD symptoms. I'm wondering if the Fatigue could be a part of teh TMJD or if I might have both going on at the same time...

Thanks a lot for posting - I get to feeling a little helpless and crazy sometimes with these weird symptoms

Greg

Old 01-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #11

britishgirl2 HB User

Greg,

This does also radiate to the chin area for me also - and fatigue, oh boy all I want to do is lay down - I just had 2 weeks off work and did absolutely nothing but lay around the whole time.......these symptoms will wear you down that's for sure. Do you suffer from panic disorder with these constricting throat feelings? When this first came on I was a mess....I couldn't go to work, couldn't function at all, I literally laid in the bed for 4 days scared to death.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

A lot of people with CFS have TMJ, but you guys sound like you have tense muscles due to myofacial pain or posture problems or something. Trigger point injections, a physiatrist, that is what I was told as far as getting help. The injections help, massage helps. A lot of dentists don't know referral patterns for pain and the muscles, mine does thank goodness. I slept all last week.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #13

britishgirl2 HB User

I do get massage therapy that concentrates on the trigger points throughout the body - it does give me some relief but it just doesn't last very long. I may look into the injections.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
(male)

gregonzola HB User

Yeah - I've had this real bad for over a year now and I still panic when it starts to tighten up and the chain reaction of symptoms gets worse. When I first had this happen, I thought I'd had some kind of a nervous breakdown and I was scared to death. So you're definitely not alone.

I'm going to try to get ahold of a doctor who knows about Trigger point therapy and Myofascial work and try some of that out. I've got a great chiropractor who does good work, but just like you, it only lasts a few days before the muscles tighten up again. I've had good luck with practicing Alexander Technique (basically how to go through your day while keeping your body upright, balanced, and relaxed), relaxation techniques, and ibuprophen. But that's about all that's had any effect.

Do you guys know how to find doctors that specialize in TMJ/Myofascial pain? Is there a referral resource that you guys know of?

Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #15
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

Hi All

Come back from dentist with lower splint, feels uncomfortable but hopefully will see some difference within the next couple of days/weeks maybe.

As for the muscle tension in the trapezius, SCM and even the subbocipital muscles, she stated that this was through my clenching of teeth and poor posture.

She has referred me to physio for some acupuncture, massage and ultrasound therapy (whichever works best)to release the muscle knots which I have, but in the meantime she advised to wear the splint from 6pm until morning when I wake up and take sometime in improving posture because thats the biggest problem what has caused my TMJ/PDS.

Have you got a splint made yet britishgirl? I will let you know how mine is doing, hopefully it will relax some of my muscles.

Sorry I can't be much more help, but I will let you know how I get on and which therapy was best for me.

Also does anyone know what is involved in ultrasound therapy, coz i have never heard of it....lol

Evonne

Last edited by Evonne667; 01-06-2005 at 01:16 PM.

Closed Thread