It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #1
(male)

jmdombr HB User
Hard to Swallow? Panic attacks!!

In the last week or so, ive had this feeling like my throat is closing up and its been hard to swallow. I also have this feeling like something is stuck in the back of my throat.

a few days ago i felt like i couldnt breathe and almost went to the ER!! I was freaking out thinking i was going to die!

I am so sick of this!! I know this comes and goes but the anxiety kills me!!

Is there any med that can help this??

Old 01-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

buffster HB User
Re: Hard to Swallow? Panic attacks!!

Hello sorry to hear you are going through that most of us have at some point and time. I urge you to talk to your DR there are several ways to deal with your situation

sincerely hope your feel better soon

Take care
Buff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Inactive

westin4 HB User

jm,
I too suffer from panic/anxiety disorder. I take Xanax/trazadone and have gotten tremendous relief. Are you taking anything or being treated for anxiety? I remember your posts from tmj and the 2 do go hand in hand.

Karen

Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

cvella HB User

The muscles in the front of the neck can affect swallowing. You may have really tight muscles that are causing restriction in your throat/esophagus. There is a stretch that you can do for the front of your neck. Gently tilt your head back and lift your chin towards the ceiling. If it feels tight, it may be causing your swallowing problems. I have very tight neck muscles (front and back) and also have trouble with swallowing. You may want to ask your Dr for a muscle relaxant.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Inactive

tina1966 HB User

Hi, I am so sorry you are having problems, I went through hell as well for weeks before I was diagnosed with TMJ, and I had the worse kind you could have, My throat was tight like yours, couldnt breathe, coughing, etc, and I too finally had a panic attack, I am on paxil CR still, for 1 1/2 years now, and was on xanax for about one year, I got off of that, but it did help me tremendously. I would highly recommend it, you do have to wean yourself off though, and doctor can help you with that. PLEASE read the book, TAKING CONTROL OF TMJ, it saved my life and explained so much about this horrible disorder. Mine was so bad docs thought I had MS for awhile or even Lupus.
The main thing to know is to try to stay calm and relax, I had to go through extensive physical therapy to get over all my pain in my head, neck, and shoulders, and even my back too. It is really something how your jaw can affect the rest of your body and the more knowledgeable you are the better off you will be, I diagnosed myself and with the help of my TMJ Dentist got better, I NEVER thought I would be better, but I am. I still have to wear my splint at night and get just occasional head pings or pains but thats it.
GOOD LUCK to you and please ask me anything else. I can honestly say I am an expert on TMJ and never wanted to be. Take Care, Tina

Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
(male)

jmdombr HB User

thanks for the advice! Im just hoping it will go away. I am thinking about getting some xanax for when it gets really bad.

-Jeff

Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Inactive

westin4 HB User

jm.
keep us posted. I know the anxiety is tough and it can ruin your life if you let it. I think getting some xanax would be good for you and maybe you can take it on an as needed basis.

Good luck!
Karen

Closed Thread