It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Dental Work & TMJ

I had a "free" consultation with a dentist today to try and correct some of my problems with my teeth since I am STILL a grinder, even with implants and I grid, amazing! And it seems I am now looking at about $7,000.00 worth of dental work. I am scared to death to have anyone touch me that I do not know due to my past experiance with OS's and know that some dental work is to be expected due to TMJ and the damage it can do. Has anyone else forked out large sums of money for dental work? It is as if the TMJ (sorry I do not use the D, as I do not feel I have a "DISORDER") alone has not cost me enough money but now I have to add $7,000.00+ to that sum. Plus they are talking about crowns, root canels and bridges. I still have not got my Jaws straight and someone is wanting to mess with my mouth. So in short I am just wondering if anyone has put out money AFTER TMJ surgery for a serious amount of dental work. And if you did have dental work done did it mess with your jaws afterwards? I do not wish to make my TMJ situation any worse than it already is.
Thanks!
Shirlett

Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Re: Dental Work & TMJ

Hi there,
My name is Tina. I have had TMJ now for about 1 1/2 years. I went through pure hell before even getting my diagnosis in July 2003. I will just touch on your question of getting dental work done. My dentist also told me I had to get major dental work done. He wanted to crown all of my teeth for a nice sum of only $20,000.00. He said I must get it done after my treatment was over, (I was wearing splint 24/7, now only at night). THankfully I got a second opinion from a great dentist who said I did not need all that work done and he even suggested I see the professionals at the University of Kentucky TMJ Clinic. And I am so glad I did. They also told me I did not need all that work done, that I was fine. And I have been fine ever since. These dentists will gouge you every chance they get. I believe mainly because dental work, and TMJ is not life threatening, so they figure why not? I know that sounds harsh, but I really believe it. Needless to say I got away from my regular dentist who both caused and healed my TMJ problem. I found a great dentist who cares and was honest with me. So, my advice to you is to get a second opinion, and who cares if it offends your dentist? If he is a true professional he wont mind a bit. I would also recommend you go to a TMJ Clinic to be evaluated, there are plenty all over the USA. Luckily, mine was in my state. And the cost was not what you would think either. I hate to think what hell I would be going through right now if I let that dentist crown all of my teeth!!! It is irreversible when they do that. I hope I have helped you and please feel free to write me back if you want. Good luck and I hope you get the help and advice you need. Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive

westin4 HB User
Re: Dental Work & TMJ

Shirlett,
Here is the rule of thumb when dealing with tmj.......never alternate your teeth. Not that most of us haven't been told to do that, but it is a HUGE way to make lots of $$$$$. Get a second and third opinion like tina said. That is the ONLY way to go. I am a bit confused.............your tmj is now gone and now they want to mess with your teeth??? If that is the way it is..........I think it answers itself.

Please be careful. The other issue is this........major dental work can flare your tmj. I think I would run and never look back. Someone is probably lining his pockets so to speak.

Karen

Closed Thread