It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
(male)

Adam S HB User
benedryl at night stops my clenching

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster <giggle>

I've pretty much determined that I'm a clencher, and that I mainly clench at night, waking up to hours of delirium, headaches, sore jaw, general spaciness in the mornings. i've been working lately with Dr. Klapper of Lake Bluff (chicagoland area) who claims he has this miracle mouth guard that makes it so my front two teeth touch and my molars in the back don't (meaning at night i won't insinctively desire to clench). Well, naturally, no such luck with his miracle cure...still hoping it'll be worth the investment though...

but... I have started taking a benedryl on evenings when i have an exam the next day (you can't score well if you are a tmj headache zombie). It has worked three times! I'm really worried about taking them regularly, that the effect might wear off. Does anyone else experiment with sedatives/have any information for me?

~adam

Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #2

juulie HB User
Re: benedryl at night stops my clenching

I think of Benedryl as an antihistimine, not a sedative (although I know bendryl can make some people sleepy). People like me with allergies take an antihistimine daily, so I don't see how it can harm you. I'm not sure why it would stop your clenching, however?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

clementine74 HB User

Hi,
I have been in the haze of the most terrible TMJ related headaches for about a week now and I have a few questions. Does anyone know any prescription drugs that will relieve that pain? Also, I would like to know who has experienced emotional side effects. I have been experiencing mood swings, irritabilility and general mental fuzziness, along with depression.
l was also wondering if anyone knows about the Alexander technique as a TMJ treatment. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #4

Zeethan HB User

Clem, I would think either the dentist you go to or your m.d. would best help you with pain management. I can't take NSAIDS, so that leaves me out of alot of pain relievers and no one I've been to have ever given me anything stronger than a mild Flexerill for pain and Valium to help relax the jaw at night. You can't be on a pain pill long term, or atleast I can't. I've got the mental fuzzies going on too, seems to worsen as the day progresses, but Xanax clears it up. I'm hoarding them.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
(female)

clementine74 HB User

Thank you for your help. My dentist has twice before prescribed vicodin, but, obviously, I can't just keep taking them, even though they have been extremely helpful in easing the pain. I forgot to leave out a huge part of my dilemma. I am a SINGER- as in, I sing FOR A LIVING. This could prove to be extremely detrimental to my professional life- it has already wrecked my personal life. OK, i'll stop whining now.
Again, many thanks for the suggestions.
By the by, I tried the benadryl thing tonight and it worked ok. I feel like maybe I can fall asleep!
Best-

Old 02-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #6

juulie HB User

Clementine, if you have TMJ headaches they are most likely muscular in nature. I find that the muscle relaxer, Soma, works best for me. I take 3 a day (350 mg each). They don't fully relieve the headaches, but help for a little while.

Julie

Old 02-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
(male)

jmdombr HB User

I would just like to add my 2 cents.

I have suffered from TMJD for 6 years on and off. I have concluded that 90% of my pain is from nighttime teeth clentching. It flares up when i have more stress or when i have really crazy dreams the night before. I have an Nti & a flat plane splint that dont seem to help too much.

I have tried several benzodiazpines to see if it helps reduce my nighttime griding habit. It definetly does!

I have tried pretty much all of the benzo's at some point: valium, ativan, klonopin, xanax.........

For me i take the smallest dose or cut the pill in half.
Ativan works the best for me only .5 mg works.

I wake up in the morning feeling a TON better. Sometimes i can make it through the whole day without any pain!

Many people get TMJ flare ups from stress and its usually from nighttime clentching.

Benzo's are pretty safe when taken at the right dose and in moderation.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
(female)

mjtudor HB User
Thumbs up Re: benedryl at night stops my clenching

Adam, I am so glad you posted about benedryl! I actually just took 50mgs about 30 minutes ago because of my allergies flaring up and just surfed on to this site for the first time and found your post!

My TMJ pain and jaw stiffness (can't open my mouth wide enough to eat anything of substance--just soup) has been so bad this past week that I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night. To no avail, I tried taking a muscle relaxer every night along with 800mgs of motrin around the clock. So I am anxious to see if benedryl will help me...it always makes me pass out within an hour.

Here's to a long night of sleep and a pain free morning for both of us!!!

Last edited by mjtudor; 02-11-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
(male)

Adam S HB User

jmdombr, are benzo's muscle relaxers?

mjtudor, glad to see you trying out the benedryl. Last night I tried Tylenol PM which also allowed me to wake up headache-free. I'm wondering what some of the experienced post-ers have heard about this-- maybe there's a difference between muscle relaxers before sleeping and some form of a sleeping pill (benedryl and tylenol pm knock you out). Anyone?

Naturally, I worry that my body will get used to the Tylenol PM or benedryl if i take them nightly. i'll ask my doctor tomorrow.

~adam

Old 02-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #10

Carol888 HB User

Pointing out that their TMJ problems could be worse and implying that they should be grateful is hardly helpful and frankly very condesending.
For those asking about muscle relaxers, I have found that valium helps me the most. I cut the lowest dose (5mg) in half so that I am not too relaxed to function at work, but enough to ease the tightness and spasm. In 15 years I have taken just about every narcotic and benzo on the market and will surely have to the rest of my life. Benydryl is probably knocking you out so deeply that you are not clenching. But, like most meds, you will develop a tolerance after a while and it does have side effects such as hypertension. Good luck. I know how hard it is to get a good nights sleep.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
(female)

mjtudor HB User

Well, the benedryl knocked me out but did nothing for my grinding and clenching. In fact, I woke myself up last night moaning from the pain. Went to the doctor today to get a new muscle relaxer (robaxin) because the old medicine (zanaflex) did absolutely nothing for me.

My doc also gave me some ambien because I haven't been able to sleep a full night's sleep since my tmj has flared up. I will probably be out of commission tonight!

Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
(female)

Mlouisa HB User

Hello. I am a long time reader but its the first time I "get involved" since I am now in Portugal. Have you tried Homeopathic medication ? I' ve been taking it for the past 11 months and it seems to work out fine for me and i feel no side effects.

Closed Thread