It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #1

RandomHerox HB User
Please help..advice on new appliance.

I went to the orthodontist yesterday and he recommend this appliance called a "Witzig" appliance. It is to be worn all the time and I have to wear it for about 6 months. According to him my lower jaw has grown longer than my upper jaw and my teeth have sort of bent back causing somewhat of an over bite. Now apparantly this appliance will reposition the muscles for my jaw so I will no longer have an overbite. Now my only problem with this is when I put my teeth to wear I don't have an overbite and my back teeth don't touch. This is kind of a problem becuase I won't be able to eat. Now my question is has anyone else tried an appliance of this sort? Does it actually work, and will I be left without being able to use my back teeth? Sorry if this is sort of confusing but I'm a little worried about it. Thanks for all the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

pwc HB User
Re: Please help..advice on new appliance.

hi,

i wore an appliance before my arthroscopy surgery. unfortunately, i did not give the appliance enough time to work. also unfortunately, i had this surgery which left me worse off than the tmjd. anyway, since the surgery (in fact, right after) i was instructed to go right back to my appliance ( i don't know the exact name - i only know that it is an maxillary stabilization appliance) and, my lower jaw moved forward (my dentist wanted it to do that, i needed a more optimum position for my jaw) and i am now left with what you have - my back teeth do not touch. this is called a posterior open bite. my dentist says he will work on getting my bite back after my jaw joints have healed. ( i am 4 months out of surgery now.) your back teeth determine your bite. to get the bite back the back teeth may have crowns put on them or braces may be used to reposition the teeth. these are the 2 options i have. my dentist, however, says i am not a candidate for caps as my jaw is too fragile and he really does not want to alter my teeth any further as they are in good condition. i hope this answer helps. i know it is frustrating when your teeth don't "match up." my dentist also told me not to try to force your teeth to meet. p.s. i do not recommend any type of surgery on your jaw joint. good luck. i hope you stick with the conservative approach. i wish i had.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #3

RandomHerox HB User

pwc,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, I also read your reply in my other post as well thanks for the input I definatly reconsidered. Anyways, so a posterior open bite shouldn't be too hard to correct? I'm almost sure that after the appliance I will have one. If it's easily treatable with braces or crowns then it should be no problem. I'm sure the posterior open bite is kind of annoying and I feel I'll be down that road soon, but hopefully not. If that is the case may I ask you a few questions? How hard is it to eat using your back teeth? Is it unbearably annoying, something that I won't be able to handle? Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
(female)

pwc HB User

hi randomherox

thank you for your concern.
i am so glad to know you have reconsidered. you have made a wise choice. i know how you have been thinking. i too, was the type of person that said, 'just lets get this over with." but, having surgery cured me of my impulsiveness. it was a high price to pay. as for the posterior open bite, the surgery left me with a deviated jaw - my jaw deviated to the left which, of course, shifted my teeth. the appliance, is cauising the posterior open bite. in my case, my teeth will most definately need braces to realign them with my new jaw positon and i will probably need crowns for the back. if you now have no malocclusion (your teeth fit togther well before the appliance) but have developed a posterior open bite from the appliance, you may be lucky because there are other appliances which can CLOSE the posterior open bite. braces and crowns could do the same of couse but conservative tmjd treatment means you should avoid changing your teeth. if i didn't have the jaw deviation i would be happy to wear another appliance which would close the bite. however, at this point, i'm not scared of braces or crowns - i'm only scared of having any work done to my mouth. but, when your bite comes back you will feel more comfortable. i have to tell you, it is a bit difficult to chew when your bite has changed. i always feel like i'm chewing taffy or caramel even when i am chewing very soft foods and, let's face it, with tmjd, we both know taffy and caramel are out of question. i think you will adjust, as i did to not being able to chew using teeth from the other parts of your mouth. you may have to use the middle teeth. at one point i was using just my front teeth. i couldn't bite off any foods with my front teeth but i could chew with them a little. cut your food really really small. i think you will adjust. i also wanted to tell you something about that "popping" noise you hear (and people hear from the other room.) it is the disc moving over the condyle. i had the same thing before my surgery. people would get scared and say, "what was THAT?" listen, when you hear that "pop", try to ask yourself, "am i scared" or "am i in pain?" try to differentiate between the two. i was petrified from those "pops" but i realize now, after surgery, that they did not cause me excrutiating pain. now that i have intolerable pain from a failed surgery I NOW KNOW what real pain is. randomherox, please feel free to ask me any question. i would do me good to have someone else learn from my mistakes and, who knows, we may be getting braces or crowns at the same time and can shoot questions back and forth. i wish you well.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #5

RandomHerox HB User

pwc,

Thanks very much, you have been very helpful and you've made me feel a lot better about this whole thing. At first I didn't like the idea of my dentist changing my bite, but now talking about it I feel reassured. Onto the appliance one more time, I do have somewhat of a malocclusion. It's not really that severe but I never really noticed how annoying it was until I started paying attention to it and tsince recent visits to the dentist. I hope both you and I get the relief we are looking for. The best of luck to you.

I'll get back to you in two weeks when I get the appliance put in, maybe sooner. I might have a few more questions. It was nice talking to you again pwc. Thanks again for all your input, you've been a big help.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
(female)

pwc HB User

hi randomherox,

glad i was of help. you may be like me. i now have a class I malocclusion - which is not that bad. (A type III would be an "underbite" where the lower teeth stick out & cover the upper.) The Type I i have is sort of a "cross bite" (but not that severe) where the teeth meet but do not fit together perfectly as they once did. Other Type I's could be where maybe just one or just a few teeth hit before the others when the mouth closes. These are relatively easy to correct. I too, just since wearing the appliance, now realize that one crown I already have in my mouth hits before the others. To tell you the truth, I feel confident we will get relief. I wouldn't say this to you if I didn't experience both the conservative and the aggressive treatments. there is a great website about various appliances and the Witzig is on it. I don't want to violate the posting rules about posting info that is not allowed but if I can get you the website I will. it tells you the types of appliances and how they are constructed and how they are supposed to work. if you have any questions on getting used to wearing the appliance please let me know. remember, you must wear it as your dr. prescribes. he/she will know if you don't as he'll be able to see the minute marks your teeth will make on the appliance. he'll be able to tell from the wear (even if you can't) if it's being worn or not. it might be tough to get used to but gradually add up the minutes you wear it day by day in the beginning. you may also want to buy a
spray lubricant for your mouth as when you wear the appliance in the beginning, you may wake up during the night with a very dry mouth. you'll adapt and you will return to normal after a short time. when i had my appliance fitted i thought it would hurt my jaw when the dentist put the trays for the acrylic in my mouth. it was not painful. good luck and please let me know how you do. please keep on this path. you will not regret this well-thought-out decision you have made.

Old 02-26-2005, 02:29 AM   #7
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHerox
I went to the orthodontist yesterday and he recommend this appliance called a "Witzig" appliance. It is to be worn all the time and I have to wear it for about 6 months. According to him my lower jaw has grown longer than my upper jaw and my teeth have sort of bent back causing somewhat of an over bite. Now apparantly this appliance will reposition the muscles for my jaw so I will no longer have an overbite. Now my only problem with this is when I put my teeth to wear I don't have an overbite and my back teeth don't touch. This is kind of a problem becuase I won't be able to eat. Now my question is has anyone else tried an appliance of this sort? Does it actually work, and will I be left without being able to use my back teeth? Sorry if this is sort of confusing but I'm a little worried about it. Thanks for all the help.
Hello,
Have you done research on the "Witzig" appliance?? Do you know what it looks like? Is your dentist practicing traditional or european (FJO) ortho....Dr. Wtizig, deceased, was the founder of FJO is the united states. If your dentist practices FJO, then i think you're in good hands...if not, u just have to take your chances.

goodthings

Closed Thread