It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

GrindAlert Update

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
lawya_bunny
(female)

lawya_bunny HB User
GrindAlert Update

Day 1:

Well, I tried my GrindAlert for the first time last night and let me tell you how amazing it feels to wake up without a sore jaw for the first time in at least a year! That said, this isn't a perfect device. I still woke up with a headache, but hey, it's only my first day! My neck is a lot less sore than it was yesterday, bt maybe that's because I got adjusted at the chiropractor. Or maybe it's because of the new memory foam pillows and mattress pad I've been using for the past week? Who knows?

(For those who don't know, this device is a headband type thingie you wear all night. It beeps when you start clenching or grinding.)

First of all, the sensors on it are pretty sensitive. It beeps every time the sensors don't have full contact with the skin at your forehead and temples, which is easy to do when you toss and turn in your sleep. I remember being woken up more by the beeping due to my moving around, rather than grinding/clenching. Also, the headband is kind of tight and somewhat uncomfortable. It's adjustable, but you want it tight to make sure the sensors maintain contact with the skin.

Second, the beeping definitely woke me up several times and I don't feel as well rested as usual (though my jaw certainly does!). Hopefuly, in time, the beeping will only be registered by my subconscious and it won't wake me up. That's what it's supposed to do anyway. I hope it does.

Third, I can't wear my GrindAlert with my eye shades that I normally wear to bed every night to keep out any light. Not a big deal, but just giving you all the info.

I will keep giving updates periodicially, if people are interested in this device.

Hang in there everyone!

LB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Miss L
(female)

Miss L HB User
Re: GrindAlert Update

hi again were did you get it?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
angtaylor

angtaylor HB User

Glad it's helping you...
I had the same response after the first few nights, but after a few months and still no reduction in grinding (guess my jaw doesn't listen to my subconscious, or at least reason that if it doesn't move I'll get more sleep) I have my doubts. In addition, the mechanical device began to act up shortly after purchase (beep randomly and not shut off when I pressed "off", turn itself off after a few minutes of laying down so I wouldn't know unless I lifted it off my head and no beeping arose) and the company wouldn't return my calls. I did speak to a live person once, who assured me he'd send a postage-return label so I could ship it back, but I never received it (and numerous calls after that were ignored or not returned by them). So their 30-day guarantee may not hold if you can't get in touch with them.
You can also see others' opinions on threads titled: home biofeedback device /"enter company name here" / grindalert / etc.
At any rate, glad it's (currently) working for you!

Last edited by angtaylor; 09-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
lawya_bunny
(female)

lawya_bunny HB User

Ang, their customer support must have improved since 9 months ago. I called the number and someone answered right away. I also received my unit in less than a week. Maybe you can swap yours out for a newer one that is in working order?

Old 04-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
waddi
(male)

waddi HB User

Lawya Bunny:

3 months in, how do you like the GrindAlert product. It's something I'm considering, but there's very little discussion of results anywhere.

Greatly appreciate your help!

W

Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
lawya_bunny
(female)

lawya_bunny HB User

Waddi,

It hasn't been three months yet. It's been more like 3 weeks (I posted on 3/29/05). So far, it's pretty good, but not the panacea I had hoped for. It does help with the grinding, and I can definitely tell that I don't wake up with sore, tired jaws. But somehow I am still experiencing headaches almost daily, and my jaw muscles are still generally sore, perhaps from clenching subconsciously during the day. Also, it hasn't done anything for my sore neck, shoulder, and back muscles. I thought that maybe if my jaw was rested, the benefits would travel down my body, since a lot of muscle tension is inter-connected with other sore muscles.

Here are the main problems I am having with it:

First, the unit beeps when the sensors lose contact with the skin for even a second. So, if the headband is on too loose, it has a tendency to beep when you toss and turn b/c the metal sensors are losing contact with the skin momentarily as you adjust your position. It's annoying. But if the unit is too tight, you wake up with a big oval indentation on your forehead that lasts for about an hour, which looks lovely in the office. Another thing about it beeing too loose is that the headband can kind of fall off your head a little and if you're in a deep sleep, you won't hear it beep (unless the volume is on super high).

Second, every now and then I will take the entire headband off in my sleep and not even realize it until I wake up. I guess there's nothing I can do about that really except hope that my body just gets used to it.

Third, if the volume isn't high enough, I sleep right through the beeps. I set my volume on 7 or 8.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

I also purchased the Grind Alert. I had many of the same problems. I would also sleep right through the beeping despite having it turned way up. I kept it for two weeks, and I then over nighted it back to get my money back. Wrong! It has been two months, and they never credited my card back the money. Is there any place I can find their phone number?

[Please remember to review the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above, before giving out information on how to find a phone number. We can't give out detailed contact information, as described in those guidelines. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 04-19-2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarification

Closed Thread