It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #1

mike_1984 HB User
What would work....

I'm thinking of starting new things for my TMJ but I don't know what to try first. I don't want to waste all of my money on something that will not even work. So far I've gotten some meds that did nothing, I've visited the chiropractor and nothing. I've went to dentists and so far 1 suggested that I get a splint made for my upper teeth (an intrusive splint to be exact). This does cost 450$ and I was wondering if there is other things I should try first before the splint. I am also worried about trying the splint since I hear it actually makes some people worse than when they started off. Is this true? So what other things can I try? Physio Therapy? Massage therapy? Anything else? Home remedies? Anyone please help. I know that this is a difficult question to answer because of the diversity of TMJ. Everyone has different symptoms, pain etc. and everyone has different ways of dealing with it. But please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: What would work....

I have been going to PT( one that treats TMJ) for the last month and that has helped my neck muscle and the pain in the joint. I'm told mine is all muscular. I also am taking 500 mg a day of magnesium, and eating a soft diet. I've been taking aleve and advil. Oh I am also applying warm moist heat a couple times a day. I think The PT is helping the most.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #3

mike_1984 HB User

I was considering that too. I've taken over the counter stuff like Aleve, tylenol, advil, motrin and they did absolutely nothing. I've taken Celebrex and nothing. On Sunday I started taking Voltaren and nothing, I think it actually made it worse.

Like I said though, I'm never in excruciating pain. The pain comes on for about 3-4 hours a day but I alwasy feel a little sensitive. My eyes hurt sometimes, my teeth others, my neck other times, then my head a little and any combination of these can come at once. The pain I get is mostly annoying pain. You may say, it's only annoying pain, stop complainging but after 10 months of having this im pretty fed up of feeling like this. I know TMJ doesn't go away but I just want to stop the symptoms. There are some days I feel fine all day and other days I don't. I usually feel okay in the morning and after noon but towards late afternoon and evening it starts coming back again.

Thanks for your response and I will try moist heat tonight when I get home. Anything else I should try or avoid? Any foods I should have more than others? Vitamins maybe? Thanks again!

Mike

Old 05-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

My kid has been dealing with this mess for several years. His head pain/tinnitus (as well as a host of other symptoms) have been on a constant basis. He's tried most drugs including morphine, to no avail. Within the past 6 months or so, he is beginning to see some improvement. He has had a splint made and also participates in Physical Therapy, Chiropractics and also Massotherapy. His physicians suggested to me that he remain in all therapies for the time being. I was told that each one compliments the other. I would definitely give Massotherapy a shot, as it's provided him with some much needed relief along with his splint. Although difficult, try finding someone in your area who is familiar with these types of problems/muscular disorders.

Good Luck to you.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #5

mike_1984 HB User

Thank you Cheryl, I will look into this stuff. What doctors would be qualified to take care of TMJ symptoms and TMJ? I heard something about an FJO? What does that stand for? Are there any other doctors tht would help?

Old 05-03-2005, 07:07 AM   #6

mike_1984 HB User

How can I tell if a dentist is "good". What should I look for and how should I know when to trust what he or she says? How did you trust your child's doctors? Thanks again for reply!

Old 05-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've spent nearly 3 years researching this disorder. My advice to you is to read as much as you can to be a "well-informed" patient.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:35 AM   #8

mike_1984 HB User

Ummm i'm Candian so I'm not sure if the websites you posted above will help me at all. I will look through them and see what I find. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

They all list Canadian physicians, as well.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #10

mike_1984 HB User

YAY!

Are there any home therapies that your son uses that helps him? Eating certain foods or putting special ointments or balms on his neck or anything like that?

Sorry that i'm aksing so many questions but this board has helped me alot in the last few months and I try to get answers whenever I can!

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Hi Mike. I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here. There are definite foods that hurt your jaw worse than others. Bagels and chewy foods like that. Also hard foods such as apples and raw carrots. Obviously things like gum and taffy are out. The worst thing to do is eat something hard or chewy that opens your mouth all the way, like a hoagie sandwich or something. I agree that physical therapy is wonderful. I went after my surgery and it helped so much! Here in my part of the states, it's about $200 per 45 minute session. And, of course, my insurance will no longer cover it at all, so I won't be going anymore. Has your doctor told you to give the anti inflammatories a little longer to take effect? I've been on Relafen now for about 4 months. It's wonderful. I really didn't notice any difference at first either. But, I definitely do now. I also am taking Elavil at night. Just the lowest dosage, but it helps get me through the night without grinding or pain. I have a splint that I wear at night also. It's a game of trial and error. Unfortunately it's an expensive game. But, I hope you find some answers. Good luck.
Tandy

Old 05-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #12

mike_1984 HB User

Thank you very much Rubato. I think I will give the anti-inflammatories some more of a chance. I will take them for a week 2 a day. I jsut don't want to get ulcers with them since they are apparently strong

Old 05-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #13
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Hey Mike,
If you have time, i would strongly suggest you read Dr. Terrance Spahl's trilogy: The Clinical Management of Basic Maxillofacial Orthopedic Appliances. Volume III is a very technical book and deals with Temporal Mandibular Joint only. This book is all you have to know about this condition and how to fix it. I was so fortunate. My school has a loan program with other state schools. So i was able to get my hands on it. It will benefit you because then you will know who is treating you the right way or wrong way.

take care,
GT

Last edited by GoodThings; 05-03-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #14

mike_1984 HB User

Can you share any of your knowledge please? Even something miunimal would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #15
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_1984
Can you share any of your knowledge please? Even something miunimal would be appreciated! Thanks!
Hey Mike,
From what i got out of Volume III is that the theory of "Gelb 4/7" is very important. If you check people without tmj, they're joints are more or less within the "Gelb 4/7" vicinity. So when entering splint therapy, the doc has to know this theory to know how far to move your jaw down and forward. And once your joints are within the "Gelb 4/7" your muscles will naturally stop spasm. i think this is the same concept with neuromuscular dentists. But they treat the muscles first. But after successful treatment, the joints go back to the Gelb 4/7. One other thing i found to be very important is teeth. They must be properly aligned to support the joints. If your joints go back the the Gleb 4/7 and you have nothing to support the joints, it just won't work. A member from the other forum mentioned that one of the biggest reasons why tmj surgery fail is because doctors don't take into account of teeth after surgery.
This is just the basics and it's all i know so far. I am in school and i don't have much time to examine the specifics. But if you can, you should definitely read the book. I think everyone should read it. It provides a lot of info on why your jaws click and lock, and gives you case after case on many patients that have been successfully treated. So there is no mystery in treating tmj. It's just that there are people playing politics.

have a great day and take care,
GT

Closed Thread