It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

meditation HB User
In line for a total joint replacement

I've been a ghost around here, lately.
It's not that I didn't want to respond to a lot of posts, because everyone here is going through valid responses to this TMJ.

I've seen others threads about questioning surgery, like arthroscopy, open joint or arthroscentisis...and, I ponder something personal.....Why did I have so many surgeries as a teen...

The last one I had worked..ear cartilage grafts to replace my non existent discs. I was worried about having that one, because I didn't see how it could work.

But, it did. And, I had a wonderful 11 years.

A separate accident caused it to come unraveled. An incident that will lead me to have a total joint replacement. It is definite now... I went up to Shand's Hopsital, in Gainesville FL, yesterday.

The exam, while brief, is still causing me extreme pain. My morphine patch not even touching the pain. The doctor told me there is only one thing that could be done for the severity of my problem...a total joint replacement, at 30 yrs. of age. No arthroscopy, no open joint, no arthroscentis will be able to assist. So, off I go in a week or two to get the CAT scan I need to start the ball rolling.

As with most of us who face a looming surgery, I am petrified. I will have to wait for surgery for about 5 months...the implants are custom made.

I will face the possibility of having this repeated about every 10-14 years, give or take a few years. It may not work. My body may reject it. It may break. It will permanently limit what I eat or don't eat. It may do nothing for the pain, and a slight chance (I don't know how, though) it could make the pain worse.

I pray I don't loose my job in the next 6 months or get laid off. I guess I pray a lot of things, lately.

I guess all of this crazed vent is for one thing....Beyond the fact I feel completely exhausted and confused...Please be weary of surgery. Please make sure you exhaust all options. I know most of you are aware of this. I am not trying at all to change the decisions you make. Because, it is only you who know what is right for you and your lives.

But, I say what I do because I am very young to be going through this....A six hour + surgery. A few months of recuperation.....at 30 years of age. I don't know how I'll do it. Hopefully, by the grace of God.

The good news from this, is that my insurance seems to cover it. So, all I have to worry about are the ded. and copays.....

and, of course, how I will be able to keep my home and bills paid until I am better....I guess this is where faith comes in...because, all my energy is wrapped up in pain and the kind....ah. ah. ah.

thanks for the vent. I try to use the board for more of this...because, I know that others in my life are confused about how I feel and sometimes need a break from this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: In line for a total joint replacement

Hi Meditation. I've been keeping up with you through your other posts and I am so sorry to hear how you are doing. It's absolutely terrible that this has happened to you all because of someone else's negligence. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who find relief with this surgery. Some have. I will keep you in my prayers.
Tandy

Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I also hope everything turns out well for you. Keep your faith and a positive attitude. I'm glad your ins. is covering this for you. Take Care.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
(female)

pwc HB User

hi meditation,

i'm very sorry to hear what you have gone through and what you face with your upcoming surgery. after you have the surgery, remember that every little step towards improvement is a victory. every time you can swallow (even if its not solid food) and can keep your weight on - that's a victory. every time you can get a few hours sleep so your body can try to repair itself - that's a victory. if you can have a short conversation with little pain - that's a victory. i'll be thinking of you...keep the faith.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

meditation HB User

There is a lot to be said about faith and hope. These are two things that I have, historically, felt were hogwash. But, perhaps this is the overall lesson.

When things are at its' bleakest and when light seems totally absent....hope and faith are the only two things that endure. They are the only positive things that may exist throughout the craziness.

Maybe this is what the wonderful creator is trying to show me, in such a way, because I have never before listened.

I pray for my solution to come fast. I pray for the ability to make it through another day at work. I know I can not make it alone....I have to let hope and faith guide me through it..

Thank you all for reading my post and responding to it. Every seemingly small thing does help.....

Hoping and crossing my fingers for a fast appt. for the cat scan to get this process in motion...Here's to faith..

Hope you all have at least, a restful night.
Take care

Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Hi Meditation,

I am sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. I can relate to the pain situation. I have been there myself and continue to be there.

Are you having the TMJ Concept Joints? You mentioned them being custom made, so I am just assuming.

I was wondering if you ever just had a discectomy? I know you had the grafts done and they eventually failed due to a screw being in your food. It destroyed your grafts. Have they removed the grafts? I was wondering if you had tried living without them?

The reason I ask is because I have been considering a future discectomy due to a failed arthroplasty. I am trying to learn about alll the possible options available.

Please keep us posted on your situation I would like to hear how you are doing and follow your progress. I just want you to know that you are not alone. There are many failed surgicals; I know several.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Take care,
Michelle

Old 05-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
(female)

meditation HB User

Hi, there.

thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It does help.

I have never had a discectomy. I think its because my original discs were removed and I had ear cartliage put in place. That surgery worked...so, there was no need for more surgery.

The problem now is moderate avascular necrosis. It would have been fine if I didn't bite on the livid screw...but, when I did, it basically ruined all the work I had accomplished.

Several doctors would not even consider surgery. They believed I should continue non invasive procedures. But, I have...for a year. And, I am physically and emotionally exhausted...I do not know what to do; but, to hold on.

The doctors who have considered surgery have told me nothing else would work except a total joint replacement; because of my problem and because of my multiple surgical history.

Yes, they will be total concepts implants. I refuse the Christensen...too too many problems. There is a new implant coming out, the Lorenz...But, I wanted an implant that has gone through studies and has a proven track record.

The doctor who is performing it says that my pain will not disappear; but, it will (hopefully) diminish...That is all I want. I would take my opening the way it is; though, honestly, I would be upset. But, the pain is my largest problem.

So, we'll see.

Oh, by the way, can you explain to me what a discectomy really is?

thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Closed Thread