It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
(male)

afboy7 HB User
My TMJ Articular Disc worn away at 30 years old

My TMJ Articular disc have degenerated completely. I have been to an Oral Surgeon and had an MRI done. Can anyone tell me if they have had the surgery for jaw replacement or any other options? My TMJ problem is almost as bad as it can get and my jaw bone rubs against my skull. I have continuous headaches, jaw aches, problems sleeping, clinching teeth, and would like to live the rest of my life somewhat pain free. I know most don't recommend surgery, but in my case I may not have another option. My oral surgeon told me I had jaw joints of a 75 year old. I am only 30.
Can anyone give any info on this or been through this to give me an idea of what I may be in for?
Thanks,
Richard

The following user gives a hug of support to afboy7:
maxine gikas (05-09-2011)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

meditation HB User
Re: My TMJ Articular Disc worn away at 30 years old

What kind of surgery is your oral surgeon recommending? Have you had any surgery on your jaw before?

I, like you, am 30 and am facing a bilateral total joint replacement in a few months....I am terrified. If it weren't for the severe pain that is barely touched with morphine and the avascular necrosis...I wouldn't opt for it...because the longevity of the replacements is finite.

I ask the questions because I wonder what your oral surgeon is recommending for your course of treatment.

There are a lot of options out there, besides a replacement...and, I probably have had it all done...What about an open joint procedure with your ear cartilage as grafts ( as your discs)??

Let me know,
thanks

Last edited by meditation; 05-12-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
(male)

afboy7 HB User

Meditation,

Thanks for the info. I have been researching tremendously on the Health Board and every other place on the net about my options. I have thought about the ear cartilage grafts, but unsure how this procedure works and if it does work how long would the disc hold up. The reason I am curious is because if the disc don't hold up for a considerable amount of time then would replacement be a better option. I don't deal with pain well and when I go through this I would hope that it would only be one procedure (I know that is asking a lot), but being realistic I have read many post where people are having surgery after surgery for some unknown reason, possibly due to inexperienced doctors who start with what they think will work for patients instead of what actually works for patients.
Let me know what you think..

Old 05-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #4

juulie HB User

I have the same problems as you and have had 4 surgical opinions. They all have different ideas about what type of surgery I should have. From everything I've read, it seems that removal of the disc without replacement is gaining popularity. Do you know what the surgeon wants to do with you?

Julie

Old 05-14-2005, 03:03 AM   #5
(male)

afboy7 HB User

juulie,

the are going over several options with me on Wed. I do know I have to do something due to the severity of the pain and other problems it is causing. I have headaches so bad that I could take a hammer and split my head open, which is bad and I clinch day and night and when I open my mouth to yawn I hear popping and cracking. I am up for almost anything at this point. Since I no longer have a disc then there is no option for removing, only replacement and if that can't be done then a joint replacement may be needed, but I will have to wait until my consultation on Wed. What have you decided to do after your surgical opinions?
Thanks

Old 05-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

meditation HB User

Hey there.

I will tell you that having a total joint replacement is like opening pandora's box. If it doesn't work, then I am totally out of luck..because nothing else can be done.

In terms of the ear cartilage, try doing research and ask your doctor about it. Actually, the success of mine was running 11 years....my opening exceeded normal, I could eat anything, and besides muscle flair ups once in a while, my pain was a zero. It failed; but, only because I had bit down on a screw in a meal while at a restaurant.

I don't want to tell you what to do; because only you know what is right for you and your body. But, I can tell you this. I am absolutely petrified of having my total joint replacement done. I know it is medically necessary;but
1. if it doesn't work..oh my God am I totally screwed.
2. if it does work, I will always be wondering how long it will last....estimates range from 10 to 14 years....so, think of it. 30...44...This will be a lifelong thing...

Keep in touch with what you find out from your doctor...
take care

Old 05-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #7
(female)

tealadyjudy111 HB User

Hi my names Judy im 53 and from the uk. I am waiting to have double custom made jaw replacements (Christensen). I have had tmj for years my left condyle is completely gone and my right is well on its way. My mum is in a hospice with terminal cancer and my dad is 89 and blind. I had an appointment to go to see my new tmj dr last month but had to cancel it but ive made another on the 16th of june which i hope i'll be able to keep. I am really terrified at the thought of the op but i am in a lot of pain and living on painkillers that dont do a lot for me. My chin was broken and reset about 10 years ago to correct my bite, but my face is lopsided and i am very aware of it all the time and hate going out. I have heard really bad things about joint replacements at the forums and im trying to kid myself that the people who have had successes do not have to join a tmj forum.I suppose im hoping that mine will cure me although i know i will still have some pain and that theres no turning back when youve had the op. Have any of you had a replacement that has worked?. Take care all, Welsh Judy.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
(female)

maxine gikas HB User
Smile Re: My TMJ Articular Disc worn away at 30 years old

Iknow ectactly how you feel.

Closed Thread