It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
(male)

SirReal HB User
Doc says "not TMJ"

I have clenched my teeth for as long as I can remember but it has gotten much worse over the past year or so. I clench down pretty hard and I make my wife slap me because I make this really stupid face when I do it. I have had dizziness (more disequilibrium than spinning) since college and have tried a few medications. I have had all the tests done (ears, heart, head, blah blah blah)and my doctor is convinced it is anxiety. I'm currently on Lexapro, but in the back of mind I think that TMJ could be causing some of this anxiety. I don't have any noticeable pain, but my jaw does pop on the right side when I open my mouth and my ears feel a bit clogged from time to time. My doctor doesn't seem to think that clenching my teeth could cause any of these types of problems, but it seems like I have heard many people on these boards say otherwise. Any thoughts out there?????? Thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #2

mike_1984 HB User
Re: Doc says "not TMJ"

I've been to 3 doctors all telling me different things. 1 doctor told me stress, another doctor told me anxiety, another doctor told me to get more rest etc... Then finally I went to a qualified doctor and he did x-rays, he saw that I had some scar tissue in my bone, near my joint. This is what was cauing me to have TMJ-like symptoms. The moral of the story is, if 1 doctor has told you it isn't TMJ, don't worry and don't be convinced. To me this sounds like TMJ, I don't have contant pain either, actually I almost never get pain, its mostly annoying pain. So now that I know it's this, I will see more qualified people to see what I can do for the problem. Please find some doctors in your area that are qualified to treat this. Maybe speak to a good dentist about. TMJ is VERY often mis-diagnosed so don't worry. Please let us know what happens! Take care.

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
(male)

SirReal HB User

Thanks Mike.

I've got an appt with the dentist coming up for a regular checkup so I am definitely going to ask about it then.

Did you go to a regular doctor for the x-rays, or do you know if the dentist can do those as well?

Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Some dentist have the right x-ray machine, most don't . You should call and ask. Dr.s don't do TMJ.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
(male)

mcruk HB User

Agreed, you should definately see the dentist as opposed to the doctor. My doctor was useless. It was my dentist that diagnosed it.

Your problems sound like TMJ to me. As for your doctor saying clenching doesnt casue these types of problems....well im shocked cos they do!!

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I don't ever recall ever hearing about the tmj joint or tmjd during school and I also don't think most Drs. know about it either.

[Please do not reference your professional health title. Please read the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above for more details. One reason, is that we don't want members to have undue weight or influence over the other. This is a peer support group only. Thanks for your cooperation - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-17-2005 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Removed reference to professional health title

Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
(female)

Miss L HB User

I think it depends on how good your doctor is and mines great sent me straight to the dental hospital

Miss L

Closed Thread