It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

tyboyz HB User
Swollen glands under chin??

Hi, I have not been diagnosed with TMJ but I am asking this question on a couple of boards that seem to be related to my symptoms. Hopefully with all the knowledge here I will learn something.

Anyway I recently had severe anxiety over an unrelated health issue. During that time I was extrememly tense and clenching my teeth and straining my neck constantly. I know because my jaw and neck were always sore and tired. After a couple of months this, I noticed the glands/nodes in my chin where swollen and somewhat tender. They also seem to really swell while I am sleeping and go back down a little during the day. I don't believe they were like this before the anxiety started. My doctor tried antibiotics but it is still happening. I also get a tingling or numbish feeling in my cheek, jaw and behind my ear on the right side.

Does anyone experience this with their clenching with TMJ. Do the nodes under your chin swell?? Has your doctor confirmed that this could happen. I am waiting to see a dentist as well as an ENT but am hoping for some kind of theory now to settle me down a bit!!!

Thank you in advance for any info or advice you can give me!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

tyboyz HB User
Re: Swollen glands under chin??

Now I am nervous no one has ever had this with jaw clenching or TMJ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

kaley HB User

Do not worry that is very normal with TMJ. It is actually tight muscles under your chin that feel like you have swollen glands. Take some Ibuprofen and try to stop thinking about it. You are fine. Take Care! Kaley

Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

I have had swollen glands/lymph nodes for years in my neck. My doctor said it was due to all of the muscle inflammation. This could possibly be the same with you, but to be on the safe side.............be sure to get it checked out.

The Following User Says Thank You to CherylLynn24 For This Useful Post:
islandgirl (05-05-2012)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
(female)

Kleeo HB User

I totally agree that any swollen gland should be checked out if it is persistant. I have had swollen glands under my ear off and on for years, but all testing came out fine so there is no concern with it. The doc thinks it is from my tonsils - they are cryptic and I get things stuck in them quite often which can cause swelling in the glands in that area.
Glands/nodes tell many tales and should never go unnoticed if they act up for no apparent reason, IMO.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I completely agree with you, Kleeo. At first, doctors thought that I had lymphoma. Fortunately, I didn't. It is always wise to be looked over by a physician when you have unusual symptoms...........even with nodes/glands.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

tyboyz HB User

Thanks everyone!!

CherylLynn, what kinds of tests did they do to make sure your glands weren't anything more serious?? My doctor was monitoring me during my aniexty and I did not have the glands in the beginning. I got them about 2 months later (which is why I believe they are from clenching and stress my muscles. My doctor felt them and did a full blood workup and believes they are reactive. I believe he is right but I can't help but worry since I have no obvious infection.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #8
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi all ,

i had my doctor feel a gland that i had in my neck just 2 weeks ago, she said it was from a constant bacterial infection because i need my teeth repaired and its also making my tonsills look inflamed, but she never said anything else, she had a report back from the Glasgow dental hospital saying i had muscular related tmj no miss placed joints no oral cancer (i was convinced i had this because i constantly clenched my teeth in my sleep i had all this funny white thing where i bit my cheek) and my doctor said my teeth are making me ill. All this started with a funny presure feeling in my ear! all this as been caused because i have teeth missing at one side the one tooth at the bottom i have left has actually fallen over and can cause some funny nerve pain my jaw is constantly stiff my ears are sore you name it i also have the same tingly feeling in my cheek and all my pain started behind my ear same as you
anyway i wont rammble on

Miss L

Oh yeah the oral surgeon said it can feel like swollen glands when your muscles are tired and over worked, one side of my face is slightly bigger than the other also

Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
(female)

tyboyz HB User

Well I see the dentist in 2 weeks so maybe I'll have more info then. Just hoping these nodes are not from anything more scary!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:35 AM   #10
(female)

Miss L HB User

I forgot to mention that the nursing sister at my gps told me even if you bit your lip or cheak you can get swallen glands

Miss L

The Following User Says Thank You to Miss L For This Useful Post:
islandgirl (04-04-2012)
Old 05-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
(female)

tyboyz HB User

The ones under my chin are driving me crazy. They are large and tender when I wake up in the morning and go down a bit as the day goes by. Antibiotics have not worked to get rid of them. I am trying my best not to think Lymphoma and hope that it is something dental related. There are days the fear gets the best of me though.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try not to fret so much about this. You have an appt. in less than 2 weeks, right? Be sure to mention this problem to your dentist, as well as how long they've been swollen. I'm sure he'll advise you on the issue. If you're finding yourself that worked up about it, then make an appt. with your general doctor and let him take a look.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
(female)

tyboyz HB User

Thanks Cheryl!! I have been to my DR and he wants me to give them some time. I first noticed them in the beginning of April and he has checked them twice. He says we can give them some more time to go down and there is no need to panic. I will be seeing him again in a couple weeks too after some more blood work.

Some days I can put it behind me but other days like today I get very nervous about them. I just want them to go away!!!!

Thanks again everyone for helping me calm down a bit.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I wasn't aware of the fact that your doctor was already alerted of this, as well as seeing you for it. Don't worry, then. If he/she is keeping track of them for you.........they'll let you know if there is something to worry about. In the meantime, relax and DON'T clench!

Also.........Keep your appt.'s with this doctor.........even if/when they go down.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
(female)

tyboyz HB User

Thanks again Cheryl!! Yes my doctor said I had a slight sinus infection in Feb and that they may be related to that. So we have time to wait and see.

I do have a funky wisdom tooth in te back as well. It is the slightest bit tender so maybe it is related to these nodes!!!

My goal today is to calm down and stop checking them for at least the 2-3 weeks until my appts!! Maybe enjoy the spring weather for a change!!! Thanks again

Closed Thread