It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

jc456 HB User
Why does TMJ start affecting other areas?

I mean tmj causes my ears to get this buzzing sound, chin gets a tingly feeling once in a while, headacnes and eyes get a tingly feeling too.

Seriously how does TMJ aggravate other areas? Im so clueless. How can something which is wrong with the jaw start causing problems in your ears, chin, etc.

Anyone got any idea? How does this happen?

Last edited by jc456; 05-21-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
Re: Why does TMJ start affecting other areas?

well, you have to think of the body more like a collection of systems. when each system is working well, there arent any problems [obviously]. when one system isnt working well, however, other systems have to overcompensate and are affected, and, thus, more seemingly unrelated symptoms occur.

the reason for ear symptoms relates to the anatomy of the TMJs and ears: they are incredibly close to one another. there are muscles that are attached to the ear drum and the eustachian tube. when your jaw muscles are tense so are the ear muscle: there is a single nerve for both the chewing and ear muscles.

the chewing muscles are often very tender with TMJD patients: pterygoids, masseter, sternocleidomastoid, temporalis, etc. anyway, if your TM disc is not functioning properly and gets displaced [stuck], it can affect your muscles. let's say if your main problem is with the right TMJ. well, your left TMJ and muscles may try to overcompensate. more symptoms.

a lot of the pain that you described in your cheeks and chin [and headaches] might be muscular related. of course, there are many things that could cause those symptoms: have you had any diagnostic testing done? having tomograms [xrays], muscle palpation, MRI, etc will determine if your problem is structural or muscular or a combination of the both.

anyway, i hope that wasn't confusing.

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

jc,

I wanted to let you know you are NOT alone with all those symptoms. They are very common to those of us who suffer tmj. I have had this for over 14 years now and have experienced all kinds of symptoms. Saaraah is rignt on the money with her explanations.

My dentist told me that ANYTIME you have a disturbance in the muscle area of the face and jaw it disrupts your eustachian tube function and once that happens you are in for a whole host of symptoms. I have found relef from so many of my symptoms with a wonderful splint that my dentist made. I have run the gammit with splints and dentists so there is not one splint that fixes everyone. You have to find a dentist who really knows his stuff and is willing to try different splints til you find one that is right for you. I had no hearing in my right ear for about 18 months and severe pain in my eyes and my right eye lid twitched 24/7. With this splint my hearing is fine, my ear is open all the time now and all of the other symptoms went away. I do still have severe pain days but I don't have all the strange symptoms that I dealt with 24/7.

Best of luck,
Karen

Old 05-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
(male)

joeteche HB User

Hello all, I am new here. I have been searching all over for an answer to my problem that I have in my ears. Long story short, I have stapedial myoclonus and tensor tympani syndrome in my left ear (with other minor problems). I have been looking into TMJ because an audiologist told me that TMJ can be directly linked to ear problems, but getting an otologist to agree with that is disturbingly hard to find.

All I know is that the less pain I have in my jaw, the less symptoms (thumping -- the muscles spasms) I have.

So, can anyone tell me that TMJ can cause inner ear muscle spasms?

Joe

P.S.: I definitely have many of the resulting problems associated with TMJ, and some in the ear, but it does not specifically mention my problem.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
(male)

joeteche HB User

anyone know?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
(male)

Pablo2079 HB User

I get spasms in my ears all the time.... seems like a bird is flapping it's wings in there!

I've had a night guard with a titanium hinge type thing in the front for 3 weeks now. Pain and swelling has subsided a lot, but I still have some days where it isn't good. Still, I've seen a lot of improvement.

Best $4k I ever spent!

Closed Thread