It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

pwc HB User
question for Katie G (braces)

hi katie g,

from your other posts you mentioned you will be wearing braces for the next 2-3 yrs. i was wondering how you managed (or how the ortho managed) to get the braces on the teeth of a person who has a compromised jaw. just getting my teeth cleaned or a cavity filled is a nightmare for both me and my dentist (although my dentist says "you are not too bad a patient.") i just wanted to know how your jaw held up when the braces were first put on. thanks. pwc

Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: question for Katie G (braces)

Hi pwc. I'm sorry it's been a couple days before I saw your post - haven't had time to check the boards.

I know what you're saying about difficulty with dental work. In fact, once I started seeing my ortho he recommended that my dentist prescribe Valium for me prior to dental visits to keep the jaw relaxed. Before Valium, I used to walk out of the dentist's office with a migraine type headache after holding my mouth open for even 30 mintues. Now the dentist also uses a bite block to hold my mouth open for me, which helps.

As far as the braces - remember, by this time bite splint therapy had alleviated all my TMD symptoms: pain, limited opening, jaw cracking/clicking, etc. When I started splint therapy, my max oral opening was only 26 mm, and by Dec. '04 (at the time of the braces), I was up to 40 mm. It may have decreased somewhat given the fact that my jaw joints are re-adjusting to the missing splint and some of my symptoms have returned. However, since starting Physical Therapy, I can see why I have pain - many of my neck, thoracic, cervical, facial, and intra-oral muscles are extremely tight and need massage and trigger point release to decrease the contractions. Today's session was very painful as the PT worked inside my mouth to release the digastric and medial pterygoids - OUCH!!!! Very tender in there still, 2 hours later.

So, anyway, the dentist and ortho have learned to work with me regarding holding my mouth open for long periods of time. Also, when the braces were being fitted, I did not have to hold at maximum opening, and my head was tilted back anyway to allow gravity to hold my mouth open too.

Keep me posted on your progress,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

pwc HB User
Re: question for Katie G (braces)

thanks for all the helpful info. good luck w/the pt. i'm sure it will relieve some of the symptoms in the long run. i'll keep you posted. thanks again.

Closed Thread