It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

MichelleATL HB User
Diazepam (Valium) for short-term night use (clenching)

On Friday, I was prescribed the muscle relaxant Skelaxin. I had requested it b/c of the lack of side effects (I am a SAHM to 2 children). It works during the day to gently keep my jaw more relaxed, but doesn't make me feel groggy.

At night, however, it is a different story. For the first time, I am waking up clenching throughout the night and all the muscles in my face, neck area are tired and like a rock when I wake up. I tend to be an intense person (developed an ulcer at 12 as a competitive gymnast!), so I'm not surprised.
I'm hoping to get fitted with some sort of mouthguard device when I go to see the neuromuscular dentist next week, but until then, I am miserable and in a big-time flair-up (getting sick of the soft diet!)

I was researching on Emory University's website (reputable hospital/school here in Atlanta) and it mentioned anti-anxiety medication for treating (short-term) the night clenching. So, I started looking around and found that Diazepam (Valium) is classified as an anti-anxiety AND a muscle relaxant and in small, short term doses can help for TMJ clenching/grinding.

Has anyone had experience using this? If so, has it helped? I am fully aware of the potential of addiction, so am only looking to use it until I can get to my dentist.

Thanks!
Michelle

Last edited by MichelleATL; 05-23-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
(male)

jmdombr HB User
Re: Diazepam (Valium) for short-term night use (clenching)

Yea. It helps. Get some and use 5mg before bed. I have improved greatly over the last 6 months due to using valium and hypnotherapy. All my TMJD symptoms stem from my nighttime clentch habit.

Ask your doctor about it or order it online.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
(male)

jmdombr HB User

oh, yea, i only use valium 2-3 times a week. At first i used it for 3 weeks, then took a break and my sypmtoms only occasionally return.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

MichelleATL HB User

I've been waiting all afternoon for my doctor (or his PA) to call me back. I spoke to the PA briefly earlier and asked her about Valium for the clenching. She said she'd talk to the dr and get back to me.

I'm glad to hear it has helped! Hopefully, my doc will prescribe it and it will bring some relief.

Oh, BTW, order online???? How does that work? Don't you have to have a prescription?

Michelle

Old 05-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

I've used it for over a year -- 5 mg at bedtime...sometimes 7.5 mg. It's the best muscle relaxant out there, but you can become dependent upon it. I've chosen to take it long term in small doses to help get the rest I need to keep working, etc.

I know some people that are highly effected by them, my S-I-L was prescribed them once for anxiety, I think, and her husband had to grab them out of her hand and flush them...whacked her out. For me they just make me tired and relaxed. I don't take them for a buzz...just to rest so I can function better.

Take care.
Del

Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

MichelleATL HB User

Well, my doctor's Physician Assistant's assistant (wow, not only do I not get to talk to the Dr, but now I'm talking to his PA's assistant!) finally called. They won't prescribe Valium (do not see it as a treatment for TMJ, even though I told them about the research I'd done), but wanted to give me a different type of pain med (Ultram?). Finally, I got it through her head that I don't need a PAIN medicine, but a relaxant for the clenching at night. So, after talking to the PA, she prescribed Zanaflex.

I've taken the Zanaflex and it does seem to help at night (knocks me out, anyway!) I have to say, that the past 2 mornings I've woken up, and have felt better than I have in a while. Hopefully this continues to help! I'm a little nervous about some of the effects I've read (hallucinations, etc..), so I'm going to take it the next few nights and then try a night without.

Thanks for all the help!
Michelle

Closed Thread