It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

Miss L HB User
Smile Tmjd

Hi all just a few questions for the more experianced on the forums, i have had one consultation with an oral surgeon (im in the uk) and he did a panoramic exray and exam he said i have tmjd muscular and to go back in 8 weeks im going back at the end of june, i have a few teeth missing on one side and he thinks this is my problem, i feel like my symptoms have gotten worse can anyone advise my? he said my joints looked fine but now i feel like my jaw joint is in my ear i know it sounds weired! i also have a lot of tooth pain, can anyone offer my any advice oh yeah my cracking jaw was on my right to start bnow its at both sides

Miss L

Old 05-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Re: Tmjd

It might be helpful for your dentist to get an MRI. It's really very difficult to know if your joints are out of place without an MRI. It won't show up on X-rays. That would give you a better idea of whether it is muscular or if the joint is actually out of place. It's possible that the missing teeth are causing you some problems. What type of treatment is he suggesting? A splint or what? Just FYI, if he suggests surgery I would run as fast as I could to get a second opinion.
Tiffany

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there he sugested that i get my teeth fixed and just see how we went, i have my first dentist appointment in 7 days, he did say we may need to have a splint made? is it possible for the pain to become worse and move from one side to the other, i only think he really did the panoramic xray because i thought i had a cancer!

thanks

Miss L

Old 05-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User

Yes, it is possible for the pain to move around with TMJ, from side to side, from tooth to tooth. That's part of what makes it such a difficult disorder to treat.

Hmm... the problem with just fixing your teeth and seeing how it goes is that you are spending all that money to take a shot in the dark. If you know what the problem is before beginning treatment you can treat the problem correctly. Just taking a shot in the dark can lead to further problems because they are guessing, trying to treat a problem they are not sure of. I personally would not allow treatment to begin on me unless I was certain of what the problem is. You could end up spending all kinds of money then later learn you had a displaced disc and they were not treating for that so you could end up with more problems than you have now. It's always best to know what the problem is before you start treating it.
Tiffany

Closed Thread