It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
sad

why do i always feel sad? i m so pessimistic. seeing a cup half filled instead of half full.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

meditation HB User
Re: sad

paxy,

what's going on tonite? what makes you say that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

nothing. just seems that i am always sad. others are always so happy. even when i got a job, i feel unhappy with it but other people can always see something good about their jobs.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Maybe you should see your Family Dr. and talk to her and you could possibly have a chemical imbalance in your brain causing you depression. Its nothing to be ashamed about.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

do all tmj patients have depression and do these people have to be on medication for e rest of their lives?

Old 05-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paxy,
Any chronis illness or condition can cause depression and or anxiety. Its very depressing being in pain all the time and not being able to enjoy life as we use too. Also it can change our brain chemicals. A lot of people go to their doctors and tell
them they need help for this and a lot of times it's just for short term til they start to feel better physically. Also being depressed and anxious can worsen your condition because you might not be sleeping and or eating well. The goal of treatment is to allieviate or rid you body of discomfort so you do not have to be on medication, but in the meantime medication can help you. Please talk to you doctor- they'll understand.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
(female)

meditation HB User

Paxy,

I've been thinking about your posts in regards to this, a lot. One of the major tenents of depression is situation...situational depression. And, when I look back on time number one with this (FOR ME) and now, I can definitely see a link.

There's a moment where you say, maybe some or all of the following:
1. I can not take this pain anymore. I am exhausted.
2. I am too tired to go out.
3. Look at everyone else...and, then there is me.
4. Will this ever end?
5. Will I ever have the future I've dreamed about?
For me, I think all the time, "Why again, am I being punished again?" was I not a good daughter, a good friend, a good sibling, a good student? What did I do wrong??

I think it has a lot to do with how we lived our lives before the insanity of TMJ hit. When you are active and then POW, knock in the kisser...your whole life does a 180...it does affect you. When you can not do the things you want, when you are too tired or in pain to even want to attempt them...of course, depression can sink in.

I've noticed that a lot of people who surround me are exhasperatingly insensitive to what I go through and what this is doing to my entire life. No, I realize that this is not a terminal situation, and that I need to gain just a tad of perspective.

But, there is a whole dynamic to chronic pain syndrome that people just plainly refuse to even consider. And, that can add to the entire 'depression' picture.

I know depression can occur with this. I suffered with it once to the near point of successful suicide. I know, ALSO, though, that it can go away...once this whole situation is under control.

Having a doctor who is truly cares about my success and treatment is vital. I can not tell you how many doctors I went to who were totally insensitive and ignorant to what chronic pain can do. They would feed me one liners to how the failure of their surgery was entirely my fault...Of course, I felt like crawling in a hole...a deep one....Because no one listened.

And, the one thing I've been learning..lthis board is so important..not only to gain information and answers to questions...but, also to vent.

If you feel you are depressed, please talk to someone. Don't let it fester and grow like an out of control snowball. There are counselors out there, believe it or not, that can really help deal with such a situation that can seem insane.

Please take care.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i went to see a psychiatrist not for tmj but for fear of balloons recently and i was so ****** off with his atitude. he kept telling me to eat medication on e spot. and told me it is ok to run away from the problem. telling me he can give me mc if i want to avoid situations with balloons. i dun trust psychiatrists.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know I've been reading some of your posts- Have you had your thyroid checked
lately?? You sound awful tired and weak and then the mention of bags under your eyes.Yes antidepressant meds are sometimes necessary and do usually work.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

I don't know if you have much pain or not in your life, but I think the pain makes me see the cup half empty most of the time. It is hard when you have a chronic illness and pain. I hope better days are ahead for you real soon.

Take care.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i do not have excrutiating pain . my shoulder hurts everyday!!!! but can tt pain cause all these sadness? but i m not super sad all e time also. i feel down but do not have suicidal thoughts. sadness, is always there but not extreme. not enuff to feel justified to take medication.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
(female)

denine3 HB User

Hi Hope you are feeling better. Just read your post. I have had tmj for about 6 months now, and I have a little girl that just turned one last month to care for. I have been through 4 ear infections, three weeks of continued dizziness and the Stomach flu which aggravated the tmj to a new high. Numerous trips to the doctor, dentist, and emergancy room trying to get some help and find out what was wrong with me. I am over three thousand dollars in the hole, due to no insurance, and have had very little help from any of them. Everyone I know is more then tired of listening to me complain about how bad I feel, and they all tell me I just need to quit thinking about it and get over it. Everyday I wake up in pain. This last month the depression started getting to me. Went to the doctor he gave me zolof which did the exact oppisite of what it was suppost to do. I thought I was going to have to be committed it was so bad. Anyway waited two more weeks then went again to the doctor. Had them check my thyroid it was ok. I told him I had tmj I have lost 15 pounds due to the stress of this whole mess and was getting very little sleep. He prescribed 25mg of amitriptylin for 30 days which is an antidepressent they give people with chronic pain often used for people with tmj. It has helped alot, I am sleeping much better have gain half my weigh back and the pain is less or at least it seems to be since I started taking the medicine. I have read a lot on this message board I see that many people have it a lot worse then me. I have prayed many times had other pray for me too. I know that the Lord may allow us to go through these things to change us and to grow us up some. I didnt mean to go on so much I guess just needed to get it out. I hope this will be of some help
denine
ps sorry about my spelling

Old 06-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

bleedingsoul88 HB User

I have TMJ, and I do have depression. I don't know if they are at all related, but it would be a good thing for you to check into.

Just try to think as positive as you can. I know it is hard to deal with, but there are many things to be happy for.

Closed Thread