It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

Tower4726 HB User
TMJ and Tinnitus??

In August of 2004 my jaw began to make a click followed by pain and soreness in the area. In January of 2004 I was rear ended in stop and go traffic on the freeway. As a result of that accident I was having daily headahces and my lymph nodes had become terribly swollen. Of course the doctors had no clue what was going on After my jaw started clicking and hurting in august i began reading up on the symptoms of tmj and noticed ringing in the ears was listed as one of them. In the middle of October one nite i wasnt able to go to asleep, mainly bc i was so mad that someone elses negligence casued me to have tmj problems. I was laying with my head on the pillow and my hand under the pillow. I opened my jaw 3 times while i was doing that, tho there was some resistance my jaw did open and click. After that my right ear began making a loud hiss. Soon after my left ear started and in the months to follow my tinnitus got to be quite bad. In December my right jaw started to click as well. I keep kicking myself for making that wierd move with my jaw that nite, blaming it for the reason i have tinnitus.

From reading these boards it seems that tinnitus seems to plague many tmj sufferers. Part of me thinks if putting some pressure on my jaw and moving it would cause my ears to start ringing, it was gonna happen sooner or later anyway. I am also unsure if that move broke my right jaw or it was just a delayed reaction, since my left jaw started clicking it put more pressure on my right.

As far as the doctors are concerned I should just live with the T as there is no cure. My dds is making me a splint but tells me that only a small percentage of his patients have had a splint help with their tinnitus.

Another thing is that I suffer from hypercusis as well as a result of tinnitus. After reading about ringing in the ears as being a side effect of TMJ in August i did begin to realize that my ears were sensitive to loud sounds. Not sure if it was the fact that i read the side effects or that as soon as my jaw clicked i came down with some mild hypercusis.

Sorry to ramble but I think you guys are the only one who would understands. Family tries to understand but its hard for them to realize whats going on. I dont blame them, when i read about tinnitus I tried to imagine whats its like and just picutred a phone continuoulsy ringing (In actuality its worse). Doctors could care less and are not educated in the the whole TMJ tinnitus connection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
(male)

joeteche HB User
Re: TMJ and Tinnitus??

Tower,

Have you been to hyperacusis.net? They have support and treatments for people with hyperacusis.

Joe

Closed Thread