It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
locked jaw?

Hi All,

I would like to know what is a locked jaw? will I need to go to e hospital or can I unlock it myself?

what is e consequence of not seeing my dentist for 7 mths? will my splint not fit my jaw? and what is e consequence of tt? why does my dentist see me every 6mths? why 6 mths and not 1 yr or 5 yrs?

Old 06-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

raylp HB User
Re: locked jaw?

Sorry to hear that your jaw is locked. There are a number of ways in which your jaw may have become locked. It is likely that your discs in your jaw are out of place and not allowing the jaw to hinge fully. However it is also possible that your muscles are tight. I would recommend finding a dentist who specializes in TMJ treatments, and not just one kind either, there are many treatments ranging from a mouth guard to prevent grinding to trigger point muscle therapy to even surgery. You want someone with jaw experience to be the one working on you, especially if they manipulate the jaw.

When my jaw locked up, they gave me prescription muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, recommended eating soft foods, and applying moist heat in the form of a hot water bottle or a double zip lock bag filled with warm water. Also relaxing was key.

As to why dentists see patients every 6 mos, I don't know. My guess would be that a six month interval works well to do regular cleanings and such.

Take Care.

Last edited by raylp; 06-07-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread