It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Moving my jaw back even more

I went in for another adjustment on my upper denture and now my jaw is moving back even more. Pretty soon I won't have a chin- Ha! ha! He explained the anatomy and said my jaw is moving back and up and pretty soon should start relieveing the pressure on my ears, so my humming and pain goes away. I can't wait. It sure does feel different. I thought this started when I got my new upper denture Jan but he said its been a lot longer and that the upper denture was just the breaking point. I hope and pray that I'm in good hands. He also told me that chiro and Pt are just band aid treaments- they can help but not long term.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Re: Moving my jaw back even more

Moving your jaw back just doesn't make sense to me. The jaw usually needs to brought forward to release the pressure that it's putting on the ears. My kid is in a repositioning splint at this time for this very purpose.............to bring the jaw forward.........thus relieving pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi! He said moving my jaw back moves my condyles forward- removing pressure from my ears. I don't know what right. Hows your kid doing with his splint. How long has he worn it and has it helped his ears. I'll have to give this a few days and see how it works I guess.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

Give it a few days and see how you feel. If you begin to hurt more, then get back in to see your dentist ASAP. I've never heard of anyone wearing a splint that is designed to pull the lower jaw in even further. The spasming of the muscles usually cause the jaw to be somewhat receded as it is.

My kid has worn his splint for nearly a year and a half now and is close to being 50% better. His headaches are still constant, but not as severe. Keep in mind that his took longer to work as he was dealing with displaced discs, as well. His dentist has said that it is of the highest importance to also seek alternate therapies while undergoing splint therapy. My kid actively participates in Chiropractics, PT and Massotherapy as well. All of the combined therapies (including splint therapy) have not touched his tinnitus as of yet, though. I understand that the last thing to resolve itself are ear issues.

Cheryl

Old 06-10-2005, 03:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24
Thank-you. I did question him about moving my chin back, as everything I have read is that the jaw needs to move out further. I am also concerned about this. He explained to me what he was trying to do, and it did seem to make sense at the time. Seems like everyone that works in his office had TMJ. I know there is another TMJ Dentist in another town close by and I may get a second opinion from him. This dentist has took advanced training and is going to start teaching TMJ treatment to other dentist and most of his patients are TMJ. He was referred to me my an oral surgeon. I am just so at a lost. There are very few dentist in my area that do TMJ. I will see how this goes for the next few days, I hope your kid continues to get better. I know how devastating the ear problems must be for him. Thanks for replying.

Closed Thread