It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

nirvana13 HB User
Arrow Left/Right chin deviation

Hello everyone, I am new to the board and wanted to jump right in. I have been suffering from a tremendous amount of pain over the last 5 years due to TMJ (so the doctors say). Over the last 8, my chin has shifted slightly to my left, and the right side of my face has swollen slightly. I recently saw a dentist/doctor who told me I need a splint. That it would re-align my jaw, correct my bite, get rid of the pain and fix the deviation! Has anyone dealt with symmetry being "redefined" by TMJ? Can the splint fix it? It is a very costly procedure, but a small price to pay to get rid of the pain and fix my chin (which has become a self conscious thing, even though no one really sees it... but me. )

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
(female)

papergoods HB User
Re: Left/Right chin deviation

Hi Sorry to hear about your problem. it really is bad I know, mine deviates to the right, and cracks on the right joint because the left joint opens first so it goes out to the right. the left side of my face is all built up as well, will muscle spasms all over. I have had neuromuscular dentristry, it helps with my ear pain (some) but not the deviation sorry to say, I too would be glad to hear of any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
(female)

tanglefoot HB User

I have the same problem but it is related to bone loss. I had a perfect bite but now only 2 teeth touch. I will be having a BSSO to fix the problem. Have you had an MRI to determine the problem? Splints can definately help with the pain but I can't see where it will help with realigning your bite????

Old 06-17-2005, 04:14 AM   #4
(female)

papergoods HB User

What is BSSO?

Old 06-17-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

tanglefoot HB User

Bilateral Sagital Split Osteotomy. It is a proceedure where they cut the mandible on both sides, reposition the condyles and put bone plates and screws in to fixate the jaw.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:15 AM   #6
(female)

tealadyjudy111 HB User

Hi all my names Judy and im from the UK, im waiting to have custom made Joints put in (been waiting for years dont know if its ever going to happen) and my chin receeds really badly on the one side. I am very self concious of this ,also when I open my mouth my lower jaw swings to the side. I am hoping that the new implants will solve this problem a bit. About 10 years ago my face was straight from the front but not the side, I had my jaw broken and reset to correct my bite, which it did but has put my face offcentre. My condylar discs are worn to nothing, i have pain though not as bad as some but i am on painkillers all the time.I have an appointment on 7th of july to see my new dr( My other dr retired as i was kept waiting so long) even though the wax models were made about 18 months ago for my new joints. I have heard terrible things about jaw implants and im trying to find out as much as i can.I do know that its a very chancy operation to have it either works or goes wrong , sometimes seriously.I am very scared at the thought of the op and want to get it over with but dont if you know what i mean. I dont like going out because of the way i look, yes i suppose it is vanity but i certainly hav'nt got any. Thanks for listening and take care Judy.

Closed Thread