It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Chiropractors

Hi all...has anyone seen a chiropractor for their pain? I am so desperate for help that I am willing to do anything. Has anyone found relief? How long does it take to experience relief? How often do you go? Any suggestions on finding a good one? Thanks guys.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Re: Chiropractors

I've had my jaw "adjusted" several times with a chiropractic tool called an "Activator." It's not a permanent "fix" but I felt better for a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

There's a new surgery for TMJ now, but I haven't researched it yet. Saw an article in a health magazine at a doctor's office...

Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

meditation HB User

Once upon a time, I did go to a Chiro for some relief for my TMJ. At that time, there was a muscular component to my TMJ and it did help, a little.

They did massage, interferential (EMS), Ice, moist heat, and also adjustments of my neck and back.

I have always been weary of having an activator used on my joint. I have worked for chiro's for years and have seen some issues with it....if they don't have it set on the right level.

If you are having muscular issues, it might help you..at least a little.

Have you tried accupuncture?

My suggestion is to call your state's Chiropractic Association...they all have them. Ask them who they would recommend. And, you want a Chiropractor who has worked with TMJ...that is important, because not all of them do...and, they need to know the inner workings and successful treatments for TMJ.

Treatment schedules are usually individualized. There were patients of ours who came once a week, some came more. Keep in mind that you may need to go more, in the beginning, until your pain is under control. Once it is, treatment levels off..maybe, once a month....And, do not let a Chiro tell you that you need to go the rest of your life, that isn't true.....But, going once a month for a 'maintanence' adjustment is not a bad idea.

Hope this helps

Last edited by meditation; 06-14-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Closed Thread