It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Tandy

Tandy,

Are you still hanging in there? I looked back through some post and did not see you anywhere. Please let me know how you are doing.
Shirlett

Old 06-15-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: Tandy

Hi Shirlett. It's wonderful to see you on here. I've been so worried about you, but figured you'd get back to us when you were ready. I read your other post that said you were able to chew. I'm so glad to hear that. I couldn't understand what impact not having your joint in would have on your life. Have you made any decisions about getting a replacement? How's your pain level? I really hope everything's going well. And, I was glad to see that you guys didn't get hit hard again. After last year, you certainly didn't need it.

I'm doing very well. I have started chewing again, even though my 6 month okay to chew isn't until Aug. 1st. I'm paying for it. I now have some shooting pains when I open and constant muscular pain. But, nothing like what I had before. My husband isn't real happy I'm chewing. He said after all the pain I was in and the money we spent on the surgery, you'd think I could just do what the doctor said. But, he's never spent 7 months not chewing at all. I just kind of had a breakdown. Plus, all I seemed to be eating anymore was ice cream. I was having a hard time keeping my weight down. I know you can eat very healthy not chewing, but I was just craving sandwiches and salads. So, I'm doing pretty well. Glad it's summer. I just hate being inside. We've been out at the lake every weekend, so it's improved my mood quite a bit.

Let me know how everything's going with you. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless.

Tandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Re: Tandy

Tandy,
Yes, as far as I Feel I am doing BETTER without my left jaw joint than with the implant in. Right now, I have NO PLANS to have the right implant put back in. My function is better than I could have hoped, I still cannot open real wide but enough that I am NOT starving. I have learned that ALOT of foods can be squished. The reason I have not been on very much is I went back to work part time. I have a wonderful boss who tries to understand is allowing me to work part-time in the office as long as I feel "up to it" I have had a few days where I got up, went in and then had to come home after a few hours. But just getting up and putting on REAL clothes and doing the job that I loved so much, I think has really helped my mental status. I can say I have not missed "working" but I missed my job and I missed the clients. My pain level has dropped way down and right now I do not feel that I need to have the right implant put back in. I have spoke to my oral surgeon and the implant maker and both have stated to me that as long as I can function and am not in Pain that I cannot deal with then there is no reason to cut me open AGAIN and put the right side implant in. Good enough for me!!!! We (husband and me with NO kids!!) have been going out to eat about once a week and it is really nice to eat out in public again. I guess I am just trying to reclaim some part of my life that I felt was taken away from me. The weekend of the 9th, 10th and 11th the kids and I went to Six Flags over Ga and White Water park and I rode everythign I wanted to. My oral surgeon told me to do what I wanted to do and to make my life as livable as I could. So I am. Now, after about two hours of rides..I am not going to lie...I felt a litle pain so I backed off and told the kids that I was going to just watch for a while and rest, so on day two I spaced out my rides. We had a blast and it felt sooooooo good to be able to ride with my kids!!! I still have not ate a steak yet....I do not know what I am waiting for. So part of me still harbors fear of the pain returning so most of the time I do not do something for fear of what it "might" do. For now, I am content with my one jaw implant. My only "issue" is the right side of my face is sunk in and when I look dead on at someone you can REALLY see it but I have tried to just put it out of my head and picture myself the way I looked BEFORE the TMJ took over. My husband was laughing......he was reading what you wrote about you and your husband and he said it was nice to know I was NOT the only one who cannot holdout and listen to the doctors!! HAHA....no they REALLY do not understand and I can relate to what you were saying...do you think the Pain is from you using muscles that you have not been using? I went through it..my craving was for grilled cheese sandwiches and baked lays. Something weird regarding my chewing is I chew on my right side. The side without the implant. I did not even think about it until one of the persons who works at TMJ Concepts asked me what side I was chewing on and when I woudl bite inot something what side did I favor? I was just so excited to bite into something and chew I could CARE LESS...just give me FOOD!! HAHA then we started paying attention and relized that I did everythign on the right side. Which now they are saying is better since it takes the stress off the implant on my left side.
I really hope you continue to have positive progress. I do not fear my "bad days" as much as I did. I just stay in my PJ's all day and lay in bed. If I only have one a week then I count my lucky stars. Still have the DREAM of no pain and 100% function. We have to dream about something!! I will try to get online on Wednesday and Saturday nights so we can stay in touch. Hang in there!!!!
Shirlett

Closed Thread