It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #1
(female)

Lulugurl HB User
Question My TMJ MRI results...I have questions???

I had my TMJ MRI and it confirmed what my Doctor thought I have:

A Displaced Disc without reduction on the right TMJ.

The good news is that the joint and the condyle bone are not damaged..{{YET!}}

I am currently wearing a splint at night and a some during the day; the splint REALLY helps keep my muscle inflammation down and has made a big difference with pain reduction. My dentist is checking my bite every 7 days to make sure my bite doesn't get messed-up. I am also taking 2mg of Diazepam at night to help relax my muscles.

I can open my mouth pretty wide without pain but if I chew a lot then I can really start to feel uncomfortable sore and tender. This can also cause me to have a bad headache and an ache around my chin bone with sharp shooting pains around my right jaw line.

I am currently trying to eat an only soft diet with lots of fruit smoothies, veggie juices, hummus, nut butters, pureed vegetables, mashed sweet potatoes etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Is it remotely possible for my displaced disc without reduction to EVER return to the proper position on top of the condyle?

What about therapeutic massage, acupuncture, acupressure, anything? Is there any hope?

I *think* the disc became displaced in late May 2005, this is when my muscles were very sore and I couldn't chew, since then my TMJ soreness has not gone away.

The first time I had lock jaw and jaw pain was December 2004. Since then the problem has gotten worse.

Before late May 2005, my TMJ soreness would be bad for a days but then It would heal and go back to 100% normal.

My Dentist says that if the disc has been displaced for less than 6 months there is a slim chance it will heal with splint therapy, a soft diet, relaxation and return to the top of the condyle, is this true?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
(male)

Pablo2079 HB User
Re: My TMJ MRI results...I have questions???

Since it hasn't been going on for TOO long (probably seems like forever), I would think it's possible for it to heal. The thing is that something must have caused it to get out of whack in the first place. If nothing else changes except for splint therapy, I'm not sure how you'd prevent it from happening again when (if?) you stop wearing the splint.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

TrixiT HB User

Lulugirl,
What type of splint do you have?

Old 06-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi Do You Get What Feels Like Pain In Your Teeth?

Miss L

Old 06-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
(female)

Lulugurl HB User

I have an upper slpint made by my Dentist. It is a clear plastic and he checks my bite and re-adjusts my splint every 7 days, otherwise my bite would become messed-up.

I have no pain in my teeth.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

Lulugurl HB User

Would anyone consider surgery to place the disc back in position?

One Dr. told me that since the condyle and joint are not damaged that NOW would, be the time to try placing the disc back in postion? The longer I wait then studies show that evntually the condyle and joint will start to break down.

Any opinions?

Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

MidiVeg HB User

[QUOTE=Lulugurl]I had my TMJ MRI and it confirmed what my Doctor thought I have:

What symptoms were there that gave the doc the ideat that you had a displaced disc? I've been told by 2 docs that I don't, and by one that I do.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
(female)

Lulugurl HB User

[QUOTE=MidiVeg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulugurl
I had my TMJ MRI and it confirmed what my Doctor thought I have:

What symptoms were there that gave the doc the ideat that you had a displaced disc? I've been told by 2 docs that I don't, and by one that I do.
Hi,
I went to see my dentist because I was in pain, I couldn't open my mouth but about 2cm and it was VERY painful to chew. I was able to point to exactly where the pain was coming from my right joint. The Doctor asked me to move my jaw around left and right but doing this he knew right away thay my right disc was dislocated, but only the MRI could tell us if it was with reductioh or without reduction, also the MRI can tell you if the joint or condyle bone are damaged.

Godd luck. I highly recommend an MRI. I feel so much better knowing exactly what is wrong. Knowing has helped me choose the next path I need to take to heal.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
(female)

TrixiT HB User

Whats the difference between disclocated and a displaced disk?

Old 06-29-2005, 02:14 AM   #10
(female)

Lulugurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixiT
Whats the difference between disclocated and a displaced disk?
They mean the same thing. The only difference is you can either have

1.) A displaced disc with reduction

or

2.) A displaced disc without reduction

Ig you want to see actual MRI's of with reduction and without reduction just look for TMJ MRI pictures

Last edited by Administrator; 01-18-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Closed Thread