It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
dentists

Hi,

i went to my dentist 3 days ago for my half yearly checkup. he checked my splint n did some adjustment to its shape. That was like for only a few minutes. he used to spend half an hour doing that. now e rest of the time he just polish n cleans my teeth. does tt mean soon i will not have to see him anymore cos he wont have to adjust my splint anymore?

do ur dentists show concern, sympathy for you guys? or does ur dentist says everyone gets neck pain now n then....

dental visits just mean adjusting splint shape n cleaning of teeth. i know i m asking for alot but i expect dentists to understand e discomfort tt we feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

maggiejean HB User
Re: dentists

You'd be surprised how many dentist don't believe our pain, "your teeth are straight and I don't feel clicking, your fine" they say. If you continue to have pain I would try to find someone who deals with orafacial pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

why dun they understand?

Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
(male)

dale2004 HB User

Because if they can't find any "obvious" evidence to explain the pain, then to them it mustn't exist. Trainee dentists need to be trained to spot other sources of pain in the mouth, jaw, face and teeth that might not be an "obvious" dental problem, and then they can refer you to the relevant person. But they aren't trained this in the UK which is sad and damaging.

You can hear my bitterness can't you.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

That is exactly why I said in a recent post that dentists arent that great to go to for this problem. Not that you cant go to them but oral surgeons are a much wiser choice. Another person on the board told me i was wrong by this but i'm glad others agree with me. They may know about the situation, but they dont actually focus on it and if they dont focus then your not getting the attention you need. Dale2004 MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY...i started out with a dentist who then referred me to a surgeon becuase "they are not trained in this area" and my new dentist also has no training on the area. all he can do is make a splint for me by the orders of the surgeon. my dentist does have sympathy for me as well as they hygenist which is wonderful. But still, a dentist is a good first step but more times then not they will say to go to a surgeon. basically with my luck dentists have disapointed me.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

what does ur surgeon do for u?

Closed Thread