It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User
Need help with POSSIBLE TMJ/Differentiating from OTHER problems?!

Hello There friends of the TMJ Board...

This is a board I havent ever posted on but it might as well be as my problems have been as wide and varying as the day is long!

I have recently been diagnosed with Lupus which seems to account for a majority of my problems, however fearing the worst about some oral symptoms (have been having recurrent mild sore throats, occasional hoarseness, very large tonsils etc) I recently visited an ENT who looked in my mouth and throat and found nothing of concern.

However something has now been going on for at least a couple of months that is very disturbing to me and only brings up my oral concerns again.

One symptom Ive had for ALONG time, as long as I can remember, are headaches at the right side back of my head, at the base of the skull. Now in addition to this, I have the following (please stay with me).

Occasional dull aching in the muscles from the base of my jaw just underneath my ear, all the way down into my upper chest on the right side, sometimes into my shoulder. Sometimes its a "radiating" pain. You want to touch it but it feels like its inside your jaw muscles.

Feeling like there is something along the right "wall" of my throat sometimes if I force it to stretch and then swallow.

Ringing in BOTH my ears but a couple of times I woke up with actual pain in the right ear and now the ringing in that ear is getting worse, and when I "clench" my jaw on the right side I can make it ring when I do that, not quite sure how to explain it, its almost like a pressure noise or a white noise when I force my jaw shut. I also feel like my ear is sort of plugged up or watery or something, but the ENT found nothing in there when he looked.

The back of my neck is stressed and sometimes gets sore.

If I press on the muscles underneath my chin on the right side they are more sore to the touch then the ones on the left side. The reason Ive been pressing them so much is Ive been frantically worried about swollen gland enlargements.

I get a little nauseous sometimes and this is getting me a little fatigued as well.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

Searching:S HB User
Re: Need help with POSSIBLE TMJ/Differentiating from OTHER problems?!

I don't know if you've found your answer...but my dr. told me that they were some symptoms of either TMJ or migraines ( I have both). Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Hello,
Your symptoms sound very much like "tmj." Has this been going on for a while now? Did you have any extensive work done on your teeth? especially the back molars? Back molars are the ones that will support your tm joints. People usually have short back molars which do not adequately support the joints and therefore cause muscles to go into spasm. The best advice i can give you right now is go to a dentist you can TRUST. One that has wroked with tmj patients for a long time. Have him/her examine you. You can then go from there. It's very important that you find a HONEST dentist.

take care,
GT

Old 07-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

Well... this is very embarrasing but... I actually had at least one upper molar pulled when I was little, and Im missing one on both sides of my mouth at the bottom (the one just ahead of the last one).

Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there i have had all the symptoms you discribe at some point over the last year i was diagnosed with TMJD in feb this year im now waiting to get some dental work finnished before i see my oral surgeon again, as he will not do anything until i get my detal work finished i have some teeth missing and need dentures im waiting to have 3 root canal treatments 1 crown and another 2 fillings ive alkready had 3 fillings then i get the dentures my tongue throat and teeth hurt all the time. i even asked about a swelling on the floor of my mouth last time i was at the hospital and the surgeon said what i was feeling was inflamed muscle tissue i was convinced i had oral cancer!

Miss L

Old 07-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaDrv4Me
Well... this is very embarrasing but... I actually had at least one upper molar pulled when I was little, and Im missing one on both sides of my mouth at the bottom (the one just ahead of the last one).
Hello PlaDrv4Me,
From what you've written here, i'd say you definitely have "tmj." I don't know how bad your back molars are, but your joints are lacking support. And to conform this (joints are not in the right places) you should take a TOMOGRAM.

take care,
GT

Old 07-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

I certainly hope so, seems like Im having more hearing loss/loud ringing in my right ear. Is it possible to have TMJD just on one side? Im missing a tooth on the left side too but its not bothering me.

Oh man... you guys know when this was the WORST?

I like to drive long trips, but lately its becoming hard to do it. On the end of an 18 hour drive from Kansas to PA, my entire neck felt enflamed, I hated it. I had a sore throat and it just was terrible. It hasnt been that intense since, but I deal with this on an almost daily basis.

Last edited by PlaDrv4Me; 07-13-2005 at 01:24 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

Hi..Check the sticky for symptoms of TMJ at the beginning . There is an great list of symptoms by Marlene. I have a lot of the symptoms that you have.Actually when I started reading it I couldn't believe the similarities. Will continue to follow this post.
BYIA

Old 07-14-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I would also get a cervical x-ray done just to rule out any cervical disc problems.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

And heres a small issue...

I dont have pain when I wake up... I have it at just any given time, my neck muscles will get sort of tight, the pain in my jaw area will flare a bit, and it just bothers the heck out of me once it starts. More than ever now my ear will just start ringing out of no where, and sometimes my ear "pops" too.

If im not waking up with pain, then that must mean Im not causing the damage at night... so when is it happening?

Also, I did take a look at the symptoms... many of them match, but I cant really find whether the "white noise ringing" in my ear when I clench my jaw is part of it too. It certainly doesnt happen in my left ear.

Last edited by PlaDrv4Me; 07-15-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Closed Thread