It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #1

une_fille HB User
Question Taking a poll for locked jaw

I am new to this board and am here as a result of my jaw now locked for over two weeks. I have a history of grinding my teeth at night (I am 28), and my jaw started locking for the first time in Nov 04. It started off where I would wake up and it would be locked but would unlock after several minutes. Then gradually I would awake each day and it would be locked sometimes for hours. Now this is the first time it's permanently locked. I tried muscle relaxers, valium (from the ER), heat-cold-massage and nothing worked. So I went to a TMJ doc who said it's a problem with the disc, not muscle and I now have a bottom splint. As I've been reading through this board, I've noticed several people have their jaws locked for months and years. This really freaks me out. So I wanted to take a poll: For those who have/had locked jaw for significant lengths of time, how many are still locked and for how long? What have your treatments been? Same questions for those who are no longer locked- what worked and how long did it take?

Thanks in advance! I want to know what I'm in for

Old 07-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

Mosmom HB User
Re: Taking a poll for locked jaw

Bonjour, une fille -

My daughter's problems started out the same as yours...occasional locking in the morning...daily locking...locking for hours...locking for days. We sought treatment early on (when she was locking briefly in the mornings) and she began wearing a splint (which she wore 24/7 for over a year). The longest she was locked for was about 10 days.

She has been symptom-free (no locking or pain) for over 18 months. She no longer wears a splint, but she has braces to stabilize the change in her bite which was caused by the splint.

Give the splint time to work. I know it's a pain in the rear, but sometimes it takes awhile. Don't rush into anything more drastic. Good luck.

Mosmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

raylp HB User
Re: Taking a poll for locked jaw

I've had a locked jaw for 6 months, and have tried all the conservative treatments without any improvement. Also tried arthrocentesis. Luckily I am pain free for now. I am looking at arthroscopy as a possible next step.

Remember that every TMJ case is different. Get the best care you can find. Have diagnostic imagery done, such as an MRI to see what's inside.

Also do not take the doctor's word on things. You need multiple opinions.

Study this and know your case, because it is not hard to know it better than they do.

Good luck.

Closed Thread