It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

1337girl HB User
TMJ and your hearing

Anyone else experienced jaw popping/clicking/sticking with muffled hearing? I underwent long term treatment and I'm much better now but every now and then the hearing in one ear fades out temporarily. Doctor says he's only half sure it's related. It has been more infrequent since the treatment. Sounds like when I put a finger over the ear. Just wondering, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: TMJ and your hearing

I have the ear humming and popping. Please tell us about your treatment- I just can't seem to get better. Did you wear a repositioning splint- if so what kind? What kind of dentist did you see. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

Searching:S HB User

yeah, I definately understand what you're talking about with the muffled hearing! That's when the jaw joint or something pops out of place, isn't it? Rather annoying, especially when you then get the comments about "selective hearing" .... the loss of hearing is kind of like when you go down a steep hill.. is that right?

Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

My right ear pops when I go up and down hills, not the jaw but the ear itself pops. I also have lost some of my hearing in the right ear and have ringing quite frequently.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
(female)

tmjLady HB User

yeah I have had the same problem and many others

Old 07-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

I have problems with my hearing also. Before I had the TMJ Concepts put in, when my face would swell beyond ice pack help, it seemed my ear canals would swell also from the pressure and I had tunnel hearing or it would just swell shut and I could not hear anything. Just another problem for us to deal with.
Good Luck,
Shirlett

Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
(female)

SuePal713 HB User

Absolutely, my hearing is affected. Then comes the dizziness. I was told it was all related to TMJ. The hearing loss comes on without any warning

Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Yes my ears hum and pop, I went to the ent and the ears are fine tho, just mild hearing loss which is normal for someone my age he said. I always feel like there is something pushing on my right ear- I'm sure it the joint and it makes my ear hum. I have an appoint with an oral sx. Oct 15th- my Tmj dentist wants me to see him for diagnostic work.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
(female)

RoseFTD HB User

I also experiance muffled hearing/ringing/static and even momentary hearing loss at times. With me this usually happens when I turn my neck a certian way, or bending over. It won't happen often for a while then all of a sudden it will occure several times in a short period. It almost always is accompanied by vertigo or dizziness for me. My Chiropractor has suggested the possability of an irritated nerve or pinched nerve sending a signal to the inner ear, but isn't sure.

Do you or, anyone else here, have muscle sensitivity that transfers from the outside to the inner ear? My massage therapist can send me to the ceiling with the lightest touch just behind the ear lobe or just in front of the ear canal. It feels like touching these areas pull on my inner ear producing a sharp pain deep in there.

Last edited by RoseFTD; 08-23-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #10
(female)

karmais HB User

My whole ear/TMJ thing started with tinnitus, hearing loss - "tunnel hearing" sounds like a good description for what I had too. I noticed that when I was tired or stressed or had to do public speaking my right ear would start to clog, buzz and tunnel. Then it started to happen when I was driving, then at home and then I went almost totally deaf in one ear. One night I got way stressed and angry about it all and stuck a cotton bud in my ear canal untill it bled. Then the blood made me totally deaf -DO NOT DO THIS EVER! It was really really scary. There was lots of blood too. It was stupid.

My Dr syringed my ear out and removed a HUGE rock hard lump of ear wax and said she could see the scab in my ear canal and to never do that again - btw where I had dmaged my ear canal was nowhere near where the rock of wax was. Well, doh. I knew it was dumb, I was desperate.

Then I was GREAT for about 5 days. Until I got what the ENTs said was a vestibular infection or labyrinthitis or some kind of inner ear infection. This was in May '05 (this year) I couldn't walk or sit upright for about 8 -10 days - the world would spin. It was terrifying. I still get the dizzies at least once a week. I'm starting to think that the syringing with water which the Dr did to get the ear wax plug out was the cause of my inner ear infection.

I also reckon that the TMJ made the wax in the ear of my "bad" jaw side build up and stick and turn into a rock; the syringing got the rock out but gave me the inner ear infection and now I'm left with "feeling" the TMJ way worse than I ever ever realised. Before all this started I used to have a "weird ear" that would hurt occassionally and just give me the irrits. Now I have PAIN PAIN PAIN. Sometimes I think I'd be better off half deaf with the lump of wax still in my ear and having a "weird half deaf ear" than the pain I have now.

I still get the tinnitus and slight deafness when I'm nervous or stressed but not like I used to before the rock of wax was removed. And it was a ROCK I assure you. Looked like a lump of coal and sorta fossilsed to me (I made the Dr show me, even though it grossed her out .

So yes, I have the ear and hearing loss troubles. I just want this to be *over* and be like I used to be.

Closed Thread