It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

liberty72 HB User
Question answers?for confused&scared

Hello, I'm new on this part of the board. I have just only heard of this TMJ in the last few days. But I have been suffering with what I feel may be the symptoms of it for over 3 weeks at least. I am a little scared about it because I don't know anything about it and don't know where to go for treatment. I have health insurance but not dental insurance. I am not financially able to go to a dentist if I had to. What should I do?
A list of my symptoms that I know of so far according to your lists are as follows:
eye pain (above, below, behind)
bloodshot eye (right side mostly)
blurring vision (right side mostly)
bulging appearance (right side)
pressure behind eyes
light sensitivity
watering of the eyes (mostly right side)
head pain,
headache,
facial pain (right side)
forehead pain
migraine type headace (minimal)
cluster headache
sinus headache under eyes
posterior headache, back of head, with/out shooting pains
hair and/or scalp painful to touch
mouth, face, cheek and chin problems
discomfort or pain to any of these areas
limited opening
inabililty to find bite with teeth
clenching teeth at night
soreness of back teeth
tooth pain
clicking, popping jaw joints
pain in cheek muscles
ear pain
hissing, buzzing, ringing, or roaring sounds
diminshed hearing
ear pain without infection
clogged, stuffy, itchy ears, feeling of fullness
balance problems, vertigo, dizziness, or disequilibrium
swallowing difficulties
tightness of throat
sore throat on occassion
frequent clearing of throat
feeling of foreign object in throat
tongue pain
salivation (intense)
pain of the hard palate in the mouth
pain on the inside of cheek
neck and shoulder problems
lack of mobility,
stiffness,
neck pain
tired, sore neck muscles
shoulder aches
upper back pain
arm and finger tingling, numbness
and did I mention extreme fatigue

Could someone help me understand what is going on with me? How did this happen to me all of a sudden? I don't understand what all this is. I am so upset I feel like my life has just turned upside down in a blink of an eye.
What kind of doctor should I begin with since I don't have dental coverage? I live in a small town and there aren't many choices.
Thanks so much for listening and any help that any one could give me. I am so confused and scared.
Hollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Re: answers?for confused&scared

If you look at the sticky at the top of the page, (Entitled "Symptoms of TMJ") you seem to have many of the symptoms of TMJD. I would get in to see a dentist who specializes in the treatment of TMJD, ASAP for an evaluation. Unfortunately, a dentist is who you need to see. Have you recently had any dental work prior to the onset of your symptoms?

Old 07-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Have you had any neck injuries also. I would find a dentist and make sure they know about tmj, as some of them really don't .

Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

liberty72 HB User

Cheryl & Luv..., thanks for your relpies and comments. I did refer to the post at the top of the page before posting entitled "symptoms of TMJ". It was very helpful in finding out the symptoms and why I have been feeling so bad lately. To answer both of your questions, I have not had any dental work done prior to my symptoms or any kind of neck injurie either. That's why this is so bizare to me. I do, however, have a disease called Pseudotumor Cerebri (PTC), aka Idiopathic Intercranial Hypertension (IIH). In other words, it's all just a fancy name for increased spinal fluid around the brain which causes increased pressure on the optic nerves, severe headaches, vision loss, and all kinds of things (you could look all that up on your own time if you wish).
As for me going to a dentist, well, like I said in my previous post, I don't have dental coverage on my insurance and that is a finacial problem for me now. I am going to call my insurance today and find out if they would even cover this if I do in fact have it. I tried calling them yesterday, but their compters were down most of the day yesterday.
This pain is really getting to me. I am in tears most of the time and it is waking me up at night. I did go and buy me one of those mouth guards to wear at night. But that did not help at all!! It ends up falling out during the night and then I still grit it so hard I wake up hurting anyways. I was up last night at 2:00 hurting and crying again. I put a warm rag on my face for about 10 - 15 minutes until I finally fell back to sleep after taking some more advil. I know one of these days that stuff is going to eat a whole in my stomach, I take so much of it here lately!!!! It can't be good for me.
Well, any other advice or comments would be appreciated!!! I am going to do some more research on this today. Thanks to all and have a blessed day!!

Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
(female)

Searching:S HB User

I know it doesn't help in the long run, but I had been having problems w/ my stomach from taking to much pain meds. so my Dr. gave me a prescription for Arthrotec it's Ibprophin that has a coating to help so it doesn't hurt your stomach when you take it all the time. It's 12 hr. just a thought.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
(male)

mcruk HB User

Sorry to hear about your horrible suffering. I can certainly relate to it. My advice is not to use those mouthguards as they can make the problem worse. Hopefully if your insurance will cover dental treatment your dentist will be able to make you a custom made one which may help you. It didnt for me after 3 months of constant wearing. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:50 AM   #7
(female)

liberty72 HB User

thanks for the replies and comments. yeah the mouth pieces was a bust anyways. i tried it out and i could not keep it in at all during the night and when i did, i would end up griting it just as hard as i would my teeth and waking up with the same kind of pain.
i called my regular neuro. that i use for another problem that i have and asked would he see me for this, but that was a bust as well. so now i am back to square one again. i shall keep trying other avenues.
thanks

Closed Thread