It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

Marylander HB User
For LuvToCamp

LuvToCamp:

I'd seen a couple of posts from you recently that sounded like you were discouraged. I get discouraged sometimes too! But I wanted to share some information I recently learned from my dentist that seem to relate to some of the uncertainties you've posted.

You mentioned a molar fulcrum. I had one too. That means that one of your molars is significantly higher than your other teeth, so that when you close your teeth together, it hits that tooth first and it slides all of your other teeth forward. You end up beating up your front teeth and wearing them down. This usually happens so fast you aren't aware of it happening at all. Some people never have pain from it, some have pain right away, and some develop pain after a time of using this kind of bite (me). It can be caused by an improper crown (me again) or just by tooth wear, I think. There are all kinds of different terms for this, but basically it is in an interference in your bite.

The treatment is to remove the interference and even out your bite. Sometimes, as is happening in my case, removing one large interferences reveals other smaller interferences. (All of my back teeth are reconstructions and they don't work together very well. It takes times to eliminate them all. When they are eliminated, your bite will be farther back than it was.

This doesn't mean the treatment that some people are receiving that moves their jaws forward is wrong. These are two different types of treatment for two different problems that result in similar symptoms.

It has taken me a long time to get a good handle on this. I hope this helps you!

Marylander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: For LuvToCamp

Marylander- Hi! just seen your post. Yes I do have a lower molar that my tmj dentist thinks may have caused some of my problems. He is moving my jaw back somewhat which didn't seem right to me because of the pressure and ringing in the ears, but he said the jaw will move back and up and decompress the ears. He made a splint out of my upper dennture and I am not touching any back molars so as to decompress the joint I guess. Its just such a slow process. He said it can take 6 months to a year- In some ways it feels better- I guess I may be impatient. Thanks for your letter. I hope your doing better. I do know people get better because 2 of the girls in his office went throught it and I noticed they were both chewing gum! Also he will not do any reconstruction work on anyone untill they are totally asymptomatic for a few months, which I guess it good. Take care and keep us updated on your progress.

Closed Thread