It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

Dixie_Tater HB User
Question Arthoscope

Hey ya'll....I am scheduled to have the arthoscope on August 16th which is a tuesday.....the doc said I would be able to return to work the following monday. Is that true??? For those who've had the arthoscope...how long did it take you to recover? The doc said they were going to place a screw in the condyle to attach cartledge if the cartledge is any good....he said if the cartledge is not any good then he would smooth the entire disc area and put a new disc in....any thoughts on this ya'll??

Dixie

Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
(female)

pwc HB User
Re: Arthoscope

hi dixie tater,

i am 9 months out of bilateral arthroscopic surgery and my surgeon said i would be " 'A.O.K.', 'like new', 'chewing solid foods' ..." in 4 weeks. um? 9 months - 4 weeks? that is more than a little off, don't you think? i am only now starting to get better (and by that i mean recovering from this "minimally invasive" surgery.) listen, please search this board using the key words like "arthoscopy" "surgery" "arthocentesis"... and read what people had to say about their procedures and their recoveries. it seems these surgeons commonly quote patients a short time frame for recovery. they do not take into account swelling, complications, residual pain from the surgery... i think if you search this board you will find someone who may have had a similar procedure and you may be able to ask more detailed questions about their recovery time. i'm sure you will see my history and if you have any questions i will try to answer them. i though, had a less complicated and less invasive procedure than you will have and am not faring so well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

To add to PWC's post, be careful about disc replacement. My doctor says he would never use these. They fail miserably.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

noNHLhockey HB User

I was told that a person should never have jaw surgery,
because there is nothing they can do for you if it fails.
Ask to see the consent form that you will have to sign-what are all the risks and complications? Can you handle living with a failed surgery and living with more pain? What is the success rate-less than 50%? Surgeons love surgery because they only get paid if they do surgery. Sorry to be a party pooper, but surgery has it's risks and doesn't always turn out the way you want it to.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
(female)

VA-GAL HB User

You sure must have one heck of a skilled surgeon if he is going to do all of that and have you back to work in a week - and do it arthroscopicly - especially replace the disc if need be. This surgeon is promising you the moon and honestly, I doubt he can deliver. I have not had this procedure, but I have had arthrocentethis 3 times and arthroplasty and neither of them are snappy recoveries, especially arthroplasty.

Do I think you will be able to go to work, sure you will, but you will be absolutely miserable, and I hope you do not have a physically demanding job because you will really be unhappy. Good luck to you with your surgery and I hope is solves your situation. I would rethink the disc replacement and opt for a discectomy instead if the disc cannot be saved.

Va-gal

Closed Thread