It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Does anyone get spasms

in the head area behind their ear when they eat or talk? I do , just wondering . Thanks

Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

chloebell HB User
Re: Does anyone get spasms

I get them sometimes out of the blue. Mine radiate from either between my shoulder blades to my ear/jaw area or from my ear to my chin. I am not sure what triggers them, but the other day I was eating breakfast and everytime I chewed on the left side of my mouth, there was pain behind my right ear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

Yeah, and at time it was so strong that my ear would be twisted and pushed up off the side of my head. I can tell you that EVERYTIME I have a muscle flap done the "problems" go away then it seems after a while and the muscle is stretched back out again the problems start again. I have had the muscles on both sides of my neck buldge so far off the sides of my neck I looked like a freak and when that would happen I could not turn my head, breathe, swallow ect. I have yet to be able to pin point something I am doing that triggers it, since I have just been driving down the road and had it happen.

I want to add something here......in 1997 when I first began having really bad problems with my TMJ all of these things we are discussing NOW on this board, soem of the doctors I was sent to to "HELP" me would tell me
"Well, now that problem/issue/ ect. has nothing to do with your TMJ" YES it must since sooooooooooooooooooo many other are experiancing and have experianced just about the same thing, we just describe it in our own words. Such as the Shooting Pain" that would rip through the left and right sides of my head, I would describe it as being struck by a bolt of lighting or being stabbed in the head by ice pick. Yet so many others have the same pain. I feel so LUCKY to have found an Oral Surgeon who LISTENED TO ME and did not send me to a shrink. If SSD would allow US to write the requirements for SSD for TMJ so many others could be helped since we have lived this and are living with it. Okay, I am done venting. Thanks for reading!
Shirlett

Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I guess it must be related to tmj then, I wasn't sure. Thanks.
Quest. what is a muscle flap????????????

I am also wondering if the splint I am wearing, my back teeth do not touch- I am wondering if this is putting a lot of stress on the temporal and neck muscles as they are doing the work when swallowing and eating- just a thought.

Last edited by luvtocamp; 08-03-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

The way it was explained to me is...they remove the top part of the muscle that runs up and down the side of your face and down towards your neck....then pull it up....flap it over (what I do not know) then stitch it down. It does make may face tighter and EVERYTIME they do a muscle flap I have to rework the muscle so I can open and close my mouth. It makes my opening very tight.
If anyone else out there has a been understanding of a "muscle flap" or can explain it better PLEASE feel free.
Shirlett

Closed Thread