It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

__Duckie HB User
Tmj?

Hi there, I'm Sarah. I'm twelve years old, and I'm going into the seventh grade tommorow. I figure I'd tell you a bit about myself. I have allergies, and I have asthma. I suppose those two go hand-in-hand. I also have a lazy eye. Only, it doesn't look it. I can move my eye, just as I move my 'okay' eye. I just can't see clearly out of it. Not so bad- at least one of them works, right? Right.

Well, a while back ago, I was sitting at the computer. The dogs were barking in the background, so I yelled at them to stop. I opened my mouth quickly as I yelled, and my mouth did this little, popping thing. Thinking I had imagined it, or that it was simply nothing, I ignored it. As my dogs continued barking, my mouth continued this strange thing.

I kept it to myself, really. I thought it was something that would go away. It seemed like the type of thing that would blow over. But now a few months later, it has gotten pretty bad. I've told my parents, but I really can't explain it any better than I have. We agreed that I'll look into it, and find out who I should tell, professional-wise.

After researching, I came across the term TMJ, several times. Message boards, stories, and otherwise, I have seemed to find the right thing. The clicking and locking of the jaw they've describes suits me perfectly.

Now, I was wondering. Who should I tell? A doctor, a dentist, an orthadontist? What is the dead with this Splint Treatment I've heard so much about? As I said, I'm going into the seventh grade. I don't exactly plan on wearing a splint on my mouth during school. And lastly, is this common? Nobody I know has heard of, or had this. And it's making me rather uncomfortable.

Last edited by __Duckie; 08-09-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: Tmj?

I am sorry you are so young and having this problem. Ask your parents if you can see a dentist and if the dentist confirms TMJ and if he doens't know much about it ask him to refer you to someone who does. Your young and should have this checked out so the prob. can be taken care off and so you don't do damage to your joint. Most doctors don't know about tmj so see a dentist. Good luck to you.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Hello Duckie,
Sorry to hear that you're going through this at such a young age. And i hope you don't rush into any treatment untill you know what's going on. Not to scare you or anything but there are a lot of people that have gotten worse because they trust what the doctor tells them. If you're not in so much pain, i hope you do as much research on this subject as you can, prepare yourself, and then find a dentist to treat you.
I don't believe you have "tmj" just by opening your mouth quickly. But whatever it is, clicking and locking are definitely signs of "tmj." Your joints are out of place, therefore, they click and lock. Normal tm joints have smooth transitions when opening and closing. So go to a dentist. Get a thorough examination, but don't rush into treatment. I know you want this to go away, but don't rush it until you know what's going on.

take care,
GT

Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
(female)

__Duckie HB User

Thank you both. I completely intend to research this as much as possible. @_@; It's not just because I oepen my mouth too quickly. I meant the first time the clicking had occured, that'ss what I thought may have started it. Because I opened my mouth too wide, too fast. Or something. I have no idea how it started.

Thenk you both, uh, again. xD I plan on looking into it a lot more. I actually just joined this place for another's opinion on what I should do, you know?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

__Duckie HB User

Oh.. I've also heard orthadontic things such as braces can cause TMJD. I have braces, but the clicking and locking started before I actually got my braces..

Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
(female)

Mosmom HB User

Good Morning, Duckie -

You mentioned that you currently wear braces. Is your orthodontist aware of the problems you are having with locking? That should be your first step. Perhaps something he/she is doing to your teeth/bite has exasperated something in your joint.

Mosmom

Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

__Duckie HB User

Well, the clicking and locking started before I actually got the braces on. With them on, it has been getting worse, it seems. )x I have an appoitment to go see him in two days, so I figured I'll ask him then.

And thanks everyone for posting. x)

Closed Thread