It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

tmart3 HB User
Tmj- Help!

I have always had a mild case of TMJ, but I recently had a root canal about amonth ago. I have had constant pain in ear lower jaw, temple and base of neck- all on my right side. I grind my teeth at night and sometimes during the day. I have good days, where I can function and then I have really bad days. The last 2 days have been horrible. I have had a migraine like headache and constant pressure in my ear and severe pain and swelling in my jaw joint. The last 2 days I have not been able to get off the couch, I just lay there with aheating pad on my right side. The dentist prescribed soma(muscle relaxer) and I have taken vicodin(5-500 mg.) Yesterday I went in and had impression for nightguard made, I was having severe headache and muscle spasms in my jaw. My dentist prescribed me valium to help me sleep, it worked for about 4 hrs. Has anyone had similar problems? What did they do to help you? Is there any kinds of meds that will help? I have tried all kinds of otc pain relievers nothing helps. My head hurts soooo bad, it is a10+ on scale of pain.Please does anyone have any suggestions. I am desperate!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

stac HB User
Re: Tmj- Help!

HggggggHi, I have had TMJ for several years. Been to Dr's for brain Mri, cervical and tmj joints. All fine. They say I clench, well my teeth are pretty warn. I have severe headaches, shoulder pain, ear aches, now we are trying to figure out dizziness and swallowing problem. I have been to ENT, just had inner ear test that I am waiting for results. I have an appliance that I wear that does no good. I have just as bad of a headache and etc. I think the next step is a massage therapist and counseling for my stress. I have a wonderful life, great family, and all but the dr's say stress. I have a problem swallowing again after 7 years. I take zanaflex at night but only notice a little difference. I think the appliance 24 - 7 days a week is not good. I clench so much more with it in. I have constant pain all on my right side too. Now the muscles in my neck are being affected. Maybe if you figure it out you can give some pointers. Dr after Dr gets old, you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart3
I have always had a mild case of TMJ, but I recently had a root canal about amonth ago. I have had constant pain in ear lower jaw, temple and base of neck- all on my right side. I grind my teeth at night and sometimes during the day. I have good days, where I can function and then I have really bad days. The last 2 days have been horrible. I have had a migraine like headache and constant pressure in my ear and severe pain and swelling in my jaw joint. The last 2 days I have not been able to get off the couch, I just lay there with aheating pad on my right side. The dentist prescribed soma(muscle relaxer) and I have taken vicodin(5-500 mg.) Yesterday I went in and had impression for nightguard made, I was having severe headache and muscle spasms in my jaw. My dentist prescribed me valium to help me sleep, it worked for about 4 hrs. Has anyone had similar problems? What did they do to help you? Is there any kinds of meds that will help? I have tried all kinds of otc pain relievers nothing helps. My head hurts soooo bad, it is a10+ on scale of pain.Please does anyone have any suggestions. I am desperate!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Re: Tmj- Help!

Hello there..
I got back on here due to a possible flare up of my tmj and felt compelled to read your story and reply....what worked for me was a great splint that my tmj dentist had custom made...and he made monthly adjustments for about 8 months or so..AND a great physical therapist..who does "myofacial release" on your back and neck..its works wonders!! I too had horrible headaches for about 8 weeks...saw 8 doc's and after the 4th trip to the ER..finally figured out what was wrong..but by that time..I was sooo messed up...doc's told me I had lupus or even MS!! BUT I did not have either!!! I went through hell....had to go to physical therapy for months..and had to wear a tens unit for 4 months on my back and neck!! Needless to say I was very disabled..it was awful....anyway..I have been doing so good until just this past week....off meds...just wearing my splint at night, etc....now...I dont know whats going on...We worked on the house we are now builiding and ever since then I have been in pain..it started in my back bad and now my jaw is being weird for some reason..do you know if my physical exerertion could have made this come back?? I have been doing so well by working teaching preschool and going to school parttime...have a great husband and two wonderful kids...this is just awful right now...I just started back to school and feel like I may have to quit. So sorry for all of your pain too!!! I know what it is like!!! I couldnt hardly swallow either..and I had the cough you can also get with tmj before treatment is started....THere is a book you should get...it is called "Taking Control of TMJ" by Dr. Charles Upgaard..it is the absolute best book..it touches on everything you can imagine concerning tmj..lifestyles...stress..body makeup...muscles...diet...etc...on and on....its great! I highly recommend it...Thanks again and please take care and my prayers are with you!! Tina

Closed Thread