It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
(male)

Tanner 1999 HB User
sudden jaw pain and swelling while eating

Hi All,

6 days ago I was eating some chips and salsa, and yeah, I was shamelessly munching away, really grinding 'em down. All of a sudden, I had pain under the left ear, and a person sitting across the room could easily see that I had swelling, after I thought I saw it in the mirror. The swelling is/was on the jaw line, mostly just under the ear - it stuck out a good quarter to half inch. OUCH. I didn't hear any sort of popping sound, oddly.

Since then the pain and swelling keep coming back, but not nearly as bad, fortunately. I'm on a super soft diet, mostly liquid. Jaw clicks a bit, but teeth meet up fine. My dentist told me years ago that I had TMJ trouble, but this seems more like a sudden dislocation. Any advice please???

Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

pantsbabe HB User
Re: sudden jaw pain and swelling while eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner 1999
Hi All,

6 days ago I was eating some chips and salsa, and yeah, I was shamelessly munching away, really grinding 'em down. All of a sudden, I had pain under the left ear, and a person sitting across the room could easily see that I had swelling, after I thought I saw it in the mirror. The swelling is/was on the jaw line, mostly just under the ear - it stuck out a good quarter to half inch. OUCH. I didn't hear any sort of popping sound, oddly.

Since then the pain and swelling keep coming back, but not nearly as bad, fortunately. I'm on a super soft diet, mostly liquid. Jaw clicks a bit, but teeth meet up fine. My dentist told me years ago that I had TMJ trouble, but this seems more like a sudden dislocation. Any advice please???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

laskalady HB User

Do you have any limited opening?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

CTmom HB User

This is a long shot, but could it possibly be a blocked/infected salivary gland? I had one with similar symptoms. It only swelled when I ate. When you just chew (and don't eat or drink anything) do the symptoms recur (meaning it is the movement that causes the swelling - not salivation?) If it only occurs with food and drink and not just movement it could be a salivary gland.

Closed Thread