It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

julianna24 HB User
Such a Relief to Read These Posts

When I came across this forum through Google, I could not believe when I began to read. It is a relief to hear others experiencing the same pain and TMJ symptoms I have been dealing with since about 15 years old.

I am 24 years old now and the pain has never been worse. It began at 15 as a slight involuntary twitch on the right side of my face my friends used to think occurred when I was nervous. For me, it brought slight pain and I was unable to tell what was causing it. After this, the pain began in the jaw area and was an occasional throbbing, radiating pain. After at least 8 years of these gradually increasing symtpoms, I now feel the constant feeling of an earache, stuffiness or a clogged ear, face neck and shoulder pain, jaw pain, popping, clicking, grating noises. I am very tired and the right side of my face always feels stressed and as weird as it sounds, I feel like I am unable to "relax" the right side of my body. My right neck, shoulder and back always feel tense and sore and a heating pad at night rarely helps anymore.

I have had an MRI done on my TMJ and it showed internal derangement but the maxofacial surgeon I was referred to did not think the derangement was severe enough to be experiencing these severe of symptoms. I had an EMG done on my face and cervical spine (neck) which showed slight radiculopathy. An ENT doctor was next and he did not find anything wrong with my ear, gave me some eardrop medication (which never helped) and now here I sit.

Right now I am waiting for an appt. on 9/1 with a dentist. My fiancee goes to him for general dentistry and raves about him and their office and how kind of sensitive to pain they are with all of their patients. He spoke to Dr. Smith about the pain I was having with my TMJ and he said I should email him. I emailed him and filled out a TMJ questionnaire and he called back the next day. He was very nice and said he didn't want to say anything without examining me first. He said he would spend 30 min of the 1 hr appt going over the questionnaire with me the next 20 examining my head, bite, and neck ,and the remaining 10 going over his thoughts.

I have to hope this will be something positive or at least someone who will take this pain seriously and at least try and assist more than the unhelpful doctors I have been experiencing.

Thanks all for allowing others like me to read about other sufferers, not feel alone, and I guess as the saying goes, maybe Misery does love Company.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: Such a Relief to Read These Posts

Gee, sounds like maybe you just need a spint. Thank goodness you won't need
surgery. Do you grind or clench? I hope your new dentist can help you. good luck to
you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Hi Julianna. Welcome to the board. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I hope this dentist has answers for you. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

maggiejean HB User

Julianna I wish you the best with your dental visit - not many dentists or doctors know what to do with us. They usually pass us off to someone else thinking we're drug addicts or crazy. I was going through the same symptoms as you and at 26 got completely fed-up and scared with the number of doctors & dentists and the varying ideas or lack there of. Finally through a dentist I found a facial pain doctor... anyway after all is said and done I was wearing a hole through the base of my scull with my joint, my discs were non existant and could have done some very serious damage had I not found someone to finally listen and do a real exam. I ended up having to have surgery, and I've gone from an average 8 - 10 pain level to a 1-2. Hopefully you don't have to have any surgery but beware any one that can not show you exactly what is wrong with you. I don't think we're allowed to say our information doctors?? but there are some great ones out there so don't give up.

Closed Thread