It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #1

RachelS HB User
jaw locked...need some support

Hi all,

So my jaw hasn't locked this badly in a long time, but I woke up at 4 this morning and found it locked and I can only open my mouth maybe a centimeter at the most. It's 10:30 now, and I'm definitely freaking out a bit and could really just use some reassurance. For some reason when my jaw locks like this I can feel myself getting an anxiety attack which the the absolute last thing I need to happen right now.

Here is what I've been doing:
took Flexeril (muscle relaxant)
icing it, will start alternating with heat

Also, it is most definitely the right side (it usually is) giving me so much trouble.

is there anything else anybody knows to do? Also, at what point do you think I should call my dr?

thank you!

Last edited by RachelS; 08-22-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

pwc HB User
Re: jaw locked...need some support

hi rachels,

if you are not adept in unlocking your own jaw or have tried and cannot unlock it, i would recommend that you go see your dentist. since you are locked closed you probably do not have to go to an emergency room. i would save the e.r. for an open lock. both open and closed bring on panic but open can be pretty tough to handle. (i've had my share of both.) when i was locked closed i was able to pop my joint in and out and was able to open my mouth. unfortunately, it wouldn't stay and i would have to do this all day long. i would just move my jaw at a certain angle and was able to open it - or - it would "pop" open. you are doing what you can right now. try the muscle relaxants and the moist heat and try (i know, it's hard) not to panic until you can see your oral surgeon/dentist. in some cases, your dentist may be able to inject some cortisone into the joint. it may lubricate the joint enough where the disc can move freely again if it is not displaced too badly. good luck. please stay calm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread