It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

asma125 HB User
New here with lots of questions

Hello Everyone

I am new here. I am 28 yrs old female. I have been experiencing this popping and jaw clicking thing going on once in a while but it never bothered me at all. I had no pains or problems before but not anymore

For the past one week, my jaw is hurting so bad, I have swollen/sore gums at the back, neck pain, difficulty in swallowing, headache, and worst of all I can not open my mouth more than 1". I am taking motrin, its helping me some.
My dentist did not even notice this until I told her myself. I was officially diagnosed with TMJ disorder by an oral surgeon but at that time since I did not have any problems he said to let it go if its not bothersome.

Now I know what tmj is and how bad it is. My question is will these symptoms go away on their own? As a tmj sufferer do you experience such symptoms often? Will I get back to my normal on my own. I don't know which doctor to go to. My dentist does not know anything. Does anyone know a good dentist with tmj experience in Kansas City area? Anything I can do to help with this. Does the insurance normally cover treatment for tmj?
Thanks for reading and for any responses you have.

Aasma

Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: New here with lots of questions

Hi!
What I did was go to the phone book and any dentist that mentioned TMJ in their ad I called. Check the oral surgeons- they are the ones most likely to treat TMJ. You can also go to the first thread Great Doctors and check there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

blossomcupbell HB User
Re: New here with lots of questions

I have had tmj for probably ten years, I am the same age as you are. When I was in college it got so bad that I could not open my mouth for more that one inch, either. That's when I went to my dentist (sorry, I'm not in your area I can't give any recommendations) and what she did was take a casting of my teeth (imagine how hard that was when my jaw would only open one inch!) and they made a night guard for me. It's this big thick rubber mold of my teeth that has withstood many nights of me grinding my teeth. The nightguard was very helpful in reducing the symptoms, meanwhile I was only eating applesauce for about two weeks!

Other things that have helped me out is to avoid:
-Potato chips
-GUM, GUM, GUM!!
-Chewy candy
-Thick, crusty breads
-Popcorn
-Basically anything hard and/or chewy

My dentist also told me to really focus on keeping upper and lower jaw apart about an inch. Not only was I grinding my teeth at night, but I was clenching them all day long, too. Focusing on keeping a space between my teeth helped out a lot, and it has been second nature to me for years now.

To tell you the truth I almost never use my nightguard anymore and I don't have many problems. Sometimes my jaw pops a lot after I've eaten something I shouldn't have (anything I listed above) because I don't always deny myself those foods since my jaw is a lot better now.

I hope that helped!

Closed Thread